Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Arthur: The legend and myth Chapter 78

78.
Arthur walked towards the bedding where his child lies then chuckling with the mother. His steps were soft with his armor and sword left outside the chamber. He stopped before the bedding and it was then Guinevere looked up. For a moment there was silence and then she spoke to the child.
“You father is here.” It was all that was needed for Arthur to seat next to his Queen and hold his sight on the child. It was a boy and the parents were proud then. Arthur then asked her of his name.
“I left it to you for you are his father.” Arthur looked over to the child, and his mind went back to his other son by Lisanor. He had no involvement with that one but this child will be under his care. “I have not a name for him.”
“You may name him.” Arthur spoke. Guinevere looked to the child.
“Gwydre. That will be his name.” Arthur looked to the Queen. He nodded at it. She then asked him.
“Why do you not name him? He is also your son. You could have added to his name. Like Bedyr or Aron.”
“Yes, you may add it in.” Arthur then stepped away. “I will leave it to you.”
Arthur moved to the door before he was stopped by Guinevere.
“Where are you headed?” It sounded more than a mere question. It had a tinge of threat to it. Arthur looked back and then he replied.
“I need to rest. I got to meet my knights.” With that he walked out and from her as if he was never back. Guinevere was to scream at him but the child intervened with a cry for the mother. Guinevere leaned down to hold the child. She then whispered to him.
“You will follow your mother’s wishes. She will protect you. No boar or hog will come near you.” It was Guinevere command that the child will not be allowed any of those animals.
If only Arthur cared to listen. He did however listen to his knights.
“Lancelot, you have done well. I heard you taken well of things when I was away.’ Arthur had changed into a simple tunic and Excalibur leaned by his seat. “Do you have news on the three brothers? Gawain, Gaheris and Galahad. I hear they are not back.”
“What of the Black Knight? Why did he not stop him from following me?” Arthur continued on without waiting the reply. “I asked him but he won’t tell.”
Lancelot did not reply then for he does not know the words to say. He had not searched the brothers. For the Black Knight, Lancelot had wished him dead ever since the humiliation incident. He had wanted to leave but Lady Igraine had convinced him otherwise. He was told that he may be the next one to replace Arthur but he must be patience for Arthur cannot be toppled by force. It was Lady Igraine who told him.
“He is Pendragon’ son and also mine but he have not been with us since his birth. So I consider him a bastard.” Lady Igraine told him. “You will marry Elaine.”
“She is family…..” Lancelot muttered. “If I …”
“You have been fucking her so it makes no difference anyway. Just try not to have kids.” Lady Igraine mocked him. “If you do, sent the child off like I did. Maybe they won’t haunt you after thirty years.”
“Listen to me hard. Only other person who knew of you is Hengist. He is to you the Black Knight. I am keeping him close so that he does do you harm or even myself. I could had him killed but that will be telling.”
Lancelot had agreed and then there was the wedding. He had not wanted then but the acts took their own steps and with each steps he felt the disappointment.
“Lancelot, I asked you a question.” Arthur glared at the knight. “I have been back and no one tells me anything.”
Merlin who was there at the far wall stepped up. He approached the King.
“Lancelot did a good task. He guarded Camelot and your Queen.” Arthur heard the druid and then he stood up.
“I am leaving tomorrow.” Arthur announced it. “I got to fight this war to end it. I will conquer them all. Like Caesar.”
With that, Arthur left the hall leaving Lancelot standing there like a fool.
At Lake Lumond, Lamorak cursed with his words at the sight that beheld him then.
“I am told by the scouts that there are more islands here than ….anywhere.” The burly man voiced out. “And it’s a lake.”
“The lake receives more than sixty rivers and with one mouth to flow out to the sea.” The sound of the birds roosting there was soon screeching when their nests were invaded by the hunters for their eggs. “If there is land we can fight but how do we cross those rivers.”
It was Percival who approached them.
“Lamorak, do you recalled the battle we fought by the wide river? The one where Silva the Dark died when he tried to swim it.”
“Well, he did died but he showed us how not to swim.” Lamorak recalled his friend who had died. “So what do you intend to do? Swim over?”
“No, we will acquire anything that sails from the settlements here. We will take it and sailed across.” Percival replied. “Even if it takes a season for us to do so.”
It was a long haul of bickering and threats before they could get their boats but their relief came in the form of a sailing fleet led by Guillamurius, the King of Ireland.
“Dia is Muire Dhuit!” The King greeted the knights in Irish which meant “God be with you”.
“Go mbeanai Dia duit!” Percival reply in the probably the only decent words he knew then in Irish. Lamorak leaned over to ask the other what was said.
“I told him May God bless him. I hope it comes out right.” Percival released a force smile on his expression. He was the most senior one of the knights in ranks and had to be Arthur’s representative then.
“I came in find King Arthur. Are you him?” The King had switched to a language spoken by all.
“I am Sir Percival and a knight of the ….”
“Round table I am told. I am King Guillamurius of Ireland and these are my …warriors. We hold no round table but the fire place of your camp may be out table.” The King waved to his warriors. “We came with boats.”
It was then an aide of the King approached him and words were whispered. The King then face reddened and then he faced Percival.
“It won’t be God that will bless us. I am here to relieve the allies of ours that you have besieged here.” King Guillamurius told the knight. “I guess we be off on the other side to prepare for battle.”
“Well then, Is docha nach bhfuil seans ar bith ann? (I suppose a ride of out the question?)” Lamorak replied in his smattering words in Gaelic. Then he added. “Pog mo thoin!” (Kiss my ass.)
The battle with the relieved Irish and Arthur’s army took fifteen days before the islands were cleared of the enemies. It was then King Arthur returned to his army.
“Well done, my knights. We will march onto Scotland now and then across the sea.” It was met with roar on the return on the King.
Back in Camelot, the knock on the doorway was met by the Queen’s call to go in.
“Lancelot, please step in. I will be ready in a moment.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...