Friday, January 13, 2017

Arthur; The Legend and Myth Chapter 47

47.

Merlin pulled himself off the lady and then stood up.

“I was in the area and did shelter in the nearby forest.” Merlin smiled. “Places of worships make me nervous.”

“Why are you here?” Lancelot asked the druid. Merlin looked at the others in the chamber which at that time was lighted up the candles.

“I was in the forest and then these hounds came all running past me. I got scared and rushed for the nearest settlement. I saw the lights and rushed over. The hounds were at the front and I sneaked in from the rear. I slipped in and hid in there.” Merlin motioned to the other chamber. “I heard the fighting and then sneaked out. I was to leave when I saw the ladies here. I came in to wake them and next I knew I was wrestled to the flooring.”

It was then Friar Tuck stepped in. He saw Merlin and then immediately hugged the other.

“Merlin, we were to meet tomorrow at the village. Why are you here?” Friar Tuck asked the other. “Were you attacked?”
Merlin explained himself once more and soon was taken out by the other. Lancelot stood there with his tunic covered with blood and two uneasy ladies seated there. Lancelot excused himself and was later in the courtyard with the knights. The later having their courage restored with the slaying of the hounds was walking around the dead hounds. He saw Merlin and Friar Tuck in deep discussion at the hall. He then called on the knights to organize them in groups and gave them their tasks from cleaning to patrolling.

“Lancelot is an easy one when you know him.” Merlin whispered to Friar Tuck. “I knew of your teaching to Hengist and his sworn devotion to you.”

“Merlin, my old friend. We have been for such a long time. When I was younger, you were already in your elderly looks. I find you vain that you will not share your elixir of life with the others.” Friar Tuck smiled at the druid. “How many Kings and Lords have you served?”

“More than I can recall but I know your question which is in your mind. Why was my interest in Arthur?” Merlin replied. “After all, Arthur may be another King in my list of Kings. Friar, we are all King’s servant and on some occasions dictate their ascensions or downfall.”

“Arthur to me is the last. I have seen them all come and fall but with Arthur I will make him great. He will be the greatest King and known to all for ages. I have given him the sword in the stone.”

“The sword in the stone? The one sword that only the truly believer can draw it out.” Friar stated out in surprise. “Those were our words.”

Both the men laughed and then Merlin continued from there.

“That was ours to conjure and maintained over the years. Many fools have envisaged themselves for one but none succeeded. Not when the sword was held by magic. With magic I unlocked the sword.” Merlin amused at his  antic and then he confessed the secret. “The sword is like the many we have given names. Men are such fools. Give them a tale and then they will listen to you for life.”

“But why do you want do this?” Friar Tuck hit the subject on the head. “Why Arthur?”

“Arthur is the ultimate vision of mine. I thought it was Pendragon but when I saw Arthur that day when he was born, I knew the land needed the real King to unite them all.” Merling replied. “Not just the land that you saw taken by Pendragon but beyond the borders. From the sea on the west to the eastern side and stretched to the north and soul.”

“Arthur will be that King.” Merlin smiled. “And I will be his adviser.”

“To the extent of selecting his Queen.” Friar Tuck smiled again. “Forget that. I need to know more on Lancelot. He is the son of Pendragon like Arthur.”

“No! Lancelot is not his son. Arthur is the one.” Merlin had his voice raised and then he realized that he was drawing attention then. He quiet down and continued his whisper.

“Lancelot will be his trusted knight and companion. We have to ensure that for its better to have your enemy near you than them away from your reach. If Lancelot is not with Arthur, he may somehow know of his past and then he may rallied the others to his heritance. He was what you all believed to be Pendragon bastard. There are many more of them so named Kings and Lords that will be eager to favor a new King of the Land.”

“You needed Lancelot to be committed, he will be to Arthur. You have it all planned. I admired you.” Friar Tuck smiled. “So my task is to nurture the knight to obedience?”

“No, not to obedience but devotion. To one King.” Merlin told the friar. “He must not know. He has a weak link in him. His pride need to be taken care and what better way than devotion. Just as he once found his pride restored when Lord Pendragon have him ride to Arthur, he was a renewed person then. His shame placed aside but he displayed his arrogance by refusing to sit with the others at the round table. You however played it well with the new mode of worshipping.”

“You meant flagellation? You never agreed to it before and won’t now.” Friar Tuck reminded the other. “You were into your…”

“Divine visions? Yes, I still am. I still can’t stand these places.” Merlin looked around the hall before his eyes rose to look at the cross. “What is wrong with having the trees to talk with. They been around since the beginning of time.”
“Forget it.” Friar Tuck snapped in. “So tell me why are you really here? I lied earlier on your coming here and now tell me the truth.”

“I came here to see the Queen to be.” Merlin smiled. “But I guessed stealth left me when I needed it most. And more to it, Arthur have been offered some others.”

Merlin recalled then the lineup of ladies who had come in offering to be the next Queen. He had some seen some of the ladies and frowned at their offerings. His choice of the Queen will be an exceptional lady and Guinevere was one of them. 

“So you ended up on the flooring with the other lady.” Friar Tuck gave out his smile once more. “I believed that may not be in your vision.”

Merlin nodded. He was getting uneasy for of late his visions were blurred and that scared him. That was why he came to see the lady. He was unsure that Guinevere was the right one. He then realized that he was needed back at Camelot. He left that night with Friar Tuck watching the other ridden off. Friar Tuck grin his expression but beneath it he was asking questions.


“The hounds….Merlin I hope you did right. It’s not good to dance with the dark creatures.” 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...