Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Arthur: The Legend and Myth Chapter 41

Part III

Arthur

41

Arthur looked to his newly sewn dark leggings which were tight and constrictive to his movement then. He disliked the shade and the design but the servant had insisted the new King must appear good.  He was lavished on then with a garish red tunic complete with the matching dark overcoat that reached his knees. The servant had worn a golden belt studded with jewels on his waist. He had on his sword in the new scabbard that was studded with jewels. His hair was cropped close to his scalp and his chin removed of the day olds stubbles. He had stopped the servant from insisting he placed on the scented water on his chest. He had by then sent the servant off for other matters while he paced to the main hall to meet his knights. The round table was filled by three more knights including Lancelot that has taken his seat. The new knights that had taken the new seats were King Ban and Bors, with Tristam then.

“Now we are ten strong.” Arthur looked to the knights, studying each one of them until he reached Lancelot. He then moved to stand behind Lancelot. “Today we are with three new knights. I named them for you now. King Ban and Bors; both brothers in blood and arms, loyal to Lord Pendragon and now to me, King Arthur.”

“How did the enemy become the allies?” Sir Kay in his arrogance asked. King Ban was to reply when Arthur halted him. Arthur then reply to the other knights.

“We are now all allies, and the past forgotten. And forgiven.” Arthur tried to his words at diplomacy then as he had done before with the Gauls when he was with the Legion. 

“I also welcomed Sir Tristam, a knight of the round table for his deeds to the last Lord will now lay with me.” King Arthur then placed his hands on Lancelot’s seat. “I also welcome back Lancelot and Percival to the round table.”

The meeting was to continue with small talks and cautioned greetings but there were in groups and not in unity on the round table. It was soon before Lancelot chose to leave. Arthur saw him leave and then caught up with Lancelot at the corridor.

“Lancelot, please do speak to me.” Arthur motioned to the other. He opened the doorway to the adjacent chamber. 

“Please step in.”

“Sir Lancelot, Utter Pendragon died when we were in the battle.” Arthur looked directly into Lancelot’s eyes. “I want to tell you that personally.”

“Then I am free to leave.” Lancelot looked to the doorway. “My task is over. I am no…”

“More obliged to the King? I am the new King. And I …” Arthur swallowed his words. “I really need you. I am assigned a new task like the Prime Legate who’s in charge of the Legion. I cannot handle it by myself without the primus pilus on the ranks.”

Arthur stopped at then to let the words sink in. He knew he was in need of that man more than anyone else on the table. 

Those words he had spoken were hard but needed. He knew he cannot trust that person but he was the suited for the task.
“I will not raise the issue of …”

“I am not a coward. However I will not explain myself to you.” Lancelot rebuked back. “However, I am not…”

“You will take the task, Sir Lancelot…. If you are to be on my land.” Arthur regretted his words the moment it was spoken but he was upset. Lancelot glared at the one which gave him the task. He was to reply when another figure appeared.

“King Arthur, may I speak to Sir Lancelot?” It was Elaine who had intruded on the two. Both the knights were surprised.

“I heard your voices.” Elaine smiled. “May I speak to him? Alone?”

King Arthur allowed Lancelot to have the hall while he took leave. Elaine dragged the other to the outside courtyard and then a ride to the forest. Once that she was sure that there was no one to hear them, she finally spoke.

“Lancelot, my mother wants you to stay. She thinks that you are suited to carry on the task assigned. You are good and you are …” Elaine could not stop talking then and it was Lancelot’s hand that reached for her that stopped it.

“All I care is you.” Lancelot declared his feelings then. “I can ride to your land and stayed there.”

“My land? My land is now part of Arthur. Arthur is King. I am his subject now. If you do ..,..like me, then join me with him. I cannot have you riding out there without me.” Igraine reciprocated with her words. “I like …No, I care for you too,”

“I cannot…Arthur is not the issue. I was…” Lancelot took a deep breath but Elaine cut in.

“It was your pride that stopped you. It was the same here. You would not tell me that …you actually love me. You have to say I care. Well, I am the same. We are both proud of ourselves and none will make us bow or be seen to be the subject of others.”

“I know, Lancelot. I have been reading ever since we met. The servants told me of your ….character. The Black Knight told me of your mother.” Elaine spoke out in a low voice. “We all have our secrets but between us there should be none.”
Lancelot glared at Elaine. He then reached for her and grabbed her arms.

“Who was my mother?” Lancelot asked and then more questions were raised by him. Their conversation took on more depth and soon the two were in sweet murmurings.

In Camelot, Arthur stepped off to Merlin’s chamber soon after his interrupted meeting with Lancelot. He saw the druid still in his usual drabs stooping over the working table. The druid was pondering over some scrolls with the pet ferret seated nearby having a snack. The ferret had the access to the chamber and the adjoining corridors; a privileged that a pet could only enjoy. Merlin looked up and saw Arthur.

“Druid, tell me why Lancelot have changed?” Arthur snapped out. “You were the one who told me to take him on as my knight. Give him the position of power. Give him…”

“Space, Arthur. Lancelot had a lot on his mind. He came back when you needed him.” Merlin interrupted.

“He was not there. I did see him in the battle. He was missing. He’s …unreliable. That was why I kept him with me.” Arthur glared at the druid. “Tell me whom can I trust.”

“You can trust me, Arthur. I am always for you.” Merlin replied but Arthur had stepped out. Merlin then looked around before he called out his other guest to step out.

“That was a close call, druid.” The voice belonged to Hengist or better known as the Black Knight. “You are well informed for a druid.”

“You meant my ferret that ran the corridors here? He is good and unlike my other friends, he is trustworthy.” Merlin replied. “So tell me why did you spin the tale on Lancelot?”

“It’s not a spin of any tale. I was telling the truth. I served with Pendragon longer than yourself. You were there soon before he was to build his castle. I knew the truth and it had to be told.” Hengist replied and then he looked at the ferret. 

“Like your pet, I served Pendragon well after the massacre. I place myself to his service. One thing he told when I spoke to him later. He told me nothing is more important than your own family. He told me of his children. His one other son that was taken by the Romans.”

“That was Arthur.” Merlin replied.

“No, Arthur was not known to him after the birth. He was referring to Lancelot. I traced the child down to his new father.
I nurtured Lancelot as I had promised Pendragon.” Hengist spoke out. “Arthur need not know. Lady Igraine made it that clear to all. Arthur will be King and Lancelot, well his knight.”

“After all, Lancelot may get Elaine as his love.” Hengist smiled. “It’s a good swap if I may say.”

“Then let Lancelot go.” Merlin voiced out.

“And for him to start a rebellion to overthrow Arthur? No, I can’t allow that.” Hengist replied. “The Anglo Saxon have lost their leaders. The Early Ones are dead.”

“Not all. One escaped. He may come back to renew the war.” Merlin reminded the elderly knight of the escaped one. 

“He may be like my pet, closer than we think and roaming free.”

“Druid, the Early Ones are dead. They are all dead. I will serve King Arthur as I did with Pendragon.” Hengist then looked at the ferret. “We are his pets now. Or rodents.”

Hengist then took his way out of the chamber. He had spoken all that was needed and it was time for his leave. He stepped out and rode to his castle. On the way he saw the couple at the forest. He felt it was not the time to intervene. He needed to see another to set the trail right on his protégé. He rode hard to the monastery that was his haven for years.

“Hello, Friar.” Hengist greeted the elderly man preening the shrubs in the garden there. It was a modest monastery with the high walls and build on the deeper end of the valley. The garden was outside the walls and hence he rode towards the elderly friar there. The friar looked up from his pruning and had to squint his eyes to get a clearer look. Hengist dismounted and approached the friar.

“It’s me, Hengist. I am …” The elderly friar in the robes with the bald head stared at Hengist and then had interrupted the other.

“You never left, Hengist. Your room remains the same when you left it last.” The friar told him. “You are just in time for a meal.”

Hengist joined the elderly friar passed the gates in the high walls and into its inner courtyard. The courtyard was covered with the fine layer of grass cropped to the roots and flower beds lined the walls to the huge building that was the main church itself in the center. It was the tall double wooden doors with the huge cross over it that marked the building. To the right was the Chapter House which was the Administrative offices and chambers with its polygon-shaped and sharply pointed roof. On the left was the Fraterhouse where the dining meals were held. That was what Hengist saw then when he looked at the place. He recalled at the rear of the Fraterhouse was the kitchen and there from it to the monks’ quarters with the cloister in the view; the open area with the fountain in the center. The monk quarters laid adjacent to the kitchen was then joined by the latrines and past it were the stables for the mules. Hengist recalled then the library was behind the Chapter House and next to it was the sick room.  That was one area where he had spent most of his days.

Hengist stepped into the Fraterhouse and saw the humble spread there. The monks seated there looked up from their meals and saw the elderly monk with their guest. They stood up and cleared their plates before leaving the place for the two newly arrived. Both of them took their place at the long table, and it was then Hengist asked the friar.

“Why ain’t seated at the front?” Hengust looked to the vacant seat. He stared at the friar who was his mentor before and the closest thing he ever had as a father.

“I have been voted out. I am now another friar but I …” Hengist snapped back.

“Friar Tuck, is that why they leave when you are here?” Hengist was upset. The friar that had helped him when he needed directions was then a discard. He looked at his once trusted mentor who kept his silence.

“I fear not been ostracized but the silence can be at times intimidating. I have done my penance but the voice tells me I am still weak.” Friar Tuck slouched on the seat. Hengist reached for the left shoulder of the friar but the other had moved aside.

“The flesh is not as resilience as it was before. I have the balms for it but the inner pain was the one I could not bear.” Friar Tuck looked to the knight. “Tell me, my son to what I owe this visit.”

“I need you to coach another for me. He is …. Like a son to me but he needs guidance now. Show him what you did for me.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...