Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Arthur; The Legend and Myth Chapter 37


37. 

Lancelot reached for the pond water with his hand. The clear water was used to clean his hands and then he scoped out some to splash on his face. The cold water there with the gentle flow was akin to the ladies touch that eased the dirt out of his skin pores. He reached for his tunic and raised it before he laid wiped his hands there. He had ridden for days before Tristam found him. He can’t find himself leaving the land. He then straighten up and turned to look at his hostess. 

“Lancelot.” Lady Igraine was standing under the oak tree by the pond. It was a picturesque scene with a view of the castle in the background. The lady had the place done up with the picnic spread but it was tamper by the siege of guards standing at discreet distances. They were not the only ones guarding the lady but at the tree line nearby, another group on horses stood guard. However Lancelot was there alone with her while Tristam took Percival to the far side by the pond. 

“Please indulge with me. We are going through some trying times now.” Lady Igraine composed herself after the display of torso by the knight. Nevertheless she continued her look at Lancelot. “I never would have thought that you were one of us.”

Lady Igraine thoughts then were the revelation by the Black Knight. She felt sad for Elaine. “Young lovers.”Lady Igraine muttered to herself. Lancelot was to speak when the lady halted him and she continued on.

“I never knew then but since it was disclosed now. I guess I can’t change the past. Not when I held my own dark secrets.” Lady Igraine saw the confused look on Lancelot. “Oh, you did not know. Pardon me for the mutterings. You can however tell me why you left Arthur to battle alone.” Lady Igraine then looked at Percival by the pond. “Both of you then.” 

Lancelot held back his words then and looked away. He stared at the friend of his who had bear with him then. 

“Sir Lancelot, if I may address you as such. You would tell me the truth of your cowardice.” Lancelot looked at the lady who had just interrupted his thoughts. He nodded and then told her of the truth of his so named cowardice.

“I was not any coward. I just …” Lancelot held his back his words. “I was bested in battle in front of my men. It was humiliating. I was …never beaten by anyone except….” 

“Your master could have done it.” The voice came from the rear of Lancelot. It was the Black Knight who had walked by the pond to arrive unannounced. 

“Still on the your own, huh?” The Black Knight approached Lancelot who had then looked over.

“Gareth… Master Gareth. I am sorry if was…” Lancelot was cut off by the other who had removed his head gear. Hengist shook his head to clear the sweat build up on his hair. 

“Young Lancelot, you have not changed much when we used to practice with wooden swords.” Hengist smiled. “I lost contact with you and your father soon after I left for my own home. I missed you since then.” 

Lancelot stepped back and then he turned away. 

“Lancelot, you cannot fault your father for me leaving. I had to leave then. I had my time with you.” Hengist explained himself. He was the one who taught Lancelot when he first wielded the wooden sword. His adopted father was too busy to teach the boy and the task was given to the slave then. Lancelot grew close to slave until the day he disappeared after a stay of ten years. “I heard then you joined the Legions.” 

“Master Gareth, you left me without a word and then you come back to best me at the skills you taught me.” 

“No, Lancelot. I did not leave a word. I merely kept my distance from you. And your skills have improved but your defeat was your mind when you knew it was me behind the mask.” Hengist smiled. “I am proud of your learning but you are in need of more. The ones that I can continue on to improve your mind.”

“No more tinkering with me, Master Gareth. I am now my own person.” Lancelot took to his horse but Hengist stopped him. 

“Lancelot, I am in need of your help. There is one other who have tarnished my reputation although he held the name differently from me but he was mistaken for me. I need you to find the Early One.” Hengist told Lancelot. “I cannot do so with my ailing bones. Our last fight gave me more pains than I have ever thought of.” 

“Why should I clear for you when you are Anglo Saxon? I am no friend of the Anglo Saxon.”

“I am no more the Anglo Saxon than you are a Legionnaire.” Hengist was upset at being singled out on his loyalty. 

“I was one with them but my stay with Pendragon had changed my alliance. I owed him my allegiance with his lands and protection when my own people have rebelled against me. I deceive Pendragon and killed his kin. I ransomed from him the land which I know occupied and yet he protected me when the other clans wanted to take over my land.” Hengist sighed. “One cannot tell which from foe to friends at times.” 

“You are a liar, Master Gareth. Just as you had done on my trust.” Lancelot was upset. 

“I was your friend, and still is one.”Hengist replied. “I was one with your father even before you arrive. He had spared my life after he defeated me. I was to be his trainer in fighting. It was then I told him of a secret that I learned from Pendragon. I knew of the Lumbria tribe and the daughter of the chief who was once a friend of Pendragon. The chief told me of the union. The Legion received orders to attack the village and your father did as he was told. He told me to fetch and protect you. I did my task as ordered.” 

“No more lies, Master Gareth. I will not listen to you anymore.” Lancelot pulled at his reins on his horse but Hengist stopped him once more. 

“Do it not for me but for your people. The Early One was the one who led the Legion there. He was of the Anglo Saxon clans. His name is unknown for he held not name but the designation the Early One. He claimed to know the land for he was here first.” 

“He was the also one who killed your mother.” That line sunk in deep into Lancelot. “She was on my kin. She was my …… friend before she met Pendragon.”

“Why do you keep on making those lies?” Lancelot glared at Hengist. 

“Why do you keep on insisting that I am telling you lies?” Hengist hit back. “Find the Early One. Asked him of your people. Your mother’s own. Ask him of me.” 

“Stop! I am no more your ….:” 

“Friend? I was never your friend. A master who taught you the skills of sword perhaps but above all, I was your protector. That was why I taught you then. You are not yet the master with the skills.” Hengist told Lancelot. “You have one more lesson to fight. He is the Early One. Bested him in combat and you will be that master.” 

“I will hear no more.” With that Lancelot looked away but the voice of Lady Igraine carried to him. 
“If the both of you were to look over, I am still awaiting an answer.” Lady Igraine called out. “I do hold the power to have both your head beheaded. Lord Pendragon may not be dead but his breathing labored with every pull. Till he is recovered, I am the …one you refer to as the Lady.” 

The Black Knight approached the lady and did his bow to her. She nodded on his bow and then looked at Lancelot.

“Sir Lancelot, I await your answer. And please don’t keep the lady waiting.”

“My apologies, my Lady. I hold no answer for you.” Lancelot remained tight lipped to his action but the Black Knight stepped forth to answer.

“Sir Lancelot was bested by myself then. He felt himself humiliated for he was seen by the men he led.” The Black Knight gave out a snigger then. “He was once my apprentice and pride was one of his weakness in …” 

“I was not.” Lancelot snapped back. He was upset then and found the meet there un-amusing too. He was to continue on when Lady Igraine halted him again.

“Sir Lancelot, I am not keen on your …pride. I am here to place on you a task. Would you come back to battle with Arthur on my command?” The last word was uttered with contempt by the lady. She had wished that she was not there but it was Pendragon whispered to her that it was his command that she looked up Lancelot. She dreaded the thought then for two reasons; one was that Lancelot may be the other son of the Lord, and two; she disliked to be commanded. During their union, Lady Igraine was the one who always on the top.

“It’s the way to redeem yourself.” The Black Knight spoke with smite at Lancelot. “Or perhaps to win back your pride.” 

Lancelot glared at the Black Knight but his thoughts was shattered again by Lady Igraine. 

“I will caution you, Sir Lancelot. I am short of patience now. So tell me, Sir Knight.” Lady Igraine saw her guards approaching her. “We are at war now once again against the Anglo Saxon. Well, at least do it for my Elaine.” 



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...