Saturday, November 26, 2016

Arthur; The legend and myth Chapter 18



18.

Arthur looked to the bay from the view at the hill. He recalled his earlier assessment of the place. The bay was the pincer of the hills on both sides although one side of the cliffs was lower. He had wanted to build the fort there near the cliff to the right on facing the sea. Its firm foundation made of stones will suffice for the fort. He staked out the plateau for the main building before it reached the steep drop onto the farmlands.


“It won’t hold.” Merlin told him. “The woods from the forest are not built to withstand the sea winds. Build your castle with stones here. We can name it Camelot.”

“Camelot? Why Camelot?” Arthur quizzed the druid.


“It’s derived from the word of the Latin’s. It meant doves in peace. It will be a place where the people will congregate like the doves for the peaceful mind here.” Merlin replied. “As Callum is to the Welsh for doves, the last words of Lot meant the mass.”


“You made that up, druid.” Arthur looked at the other. “But I liked it. Camelot it will be. A place of peace and …”


“A befitting place for the knights.” Merlin added. “Your knights, my Lord.”


Arthur was taken aback by the honor bestowed on him by the druid but he knew he was not a Lord then. He was just a vassal of the land that belonged to Utter Pendragon. He held no strength of knights and more to it he held no deeds to stake his honor as the Lord. It was then Merlin brought forth the drawings he had on Camelot. Arthur looked at the druid who had then displayed to him the drawings he had made. There was the bay and the two pincer of land that covered the bay. He saw then the pass and the flat land beyond there with the forest forming a boundary on the left and the river on the right with futile farmland. On the parchment there, Arthur sensed the calmness of the land and he was proud that he was to be its owner.


“My Lord, the detail layout of the castle.” Merlin pushed his way forth with the new parchment that detailed the castle. It showed an imposing castle with the twin towers that loomed over the cliff and its walls that lined the cliffs to the bottom of the hill towards the flat farmland.


“The castle sloped to the farmlands with its second walls and the four shorter towers with the ramparts.” Merlin drew his fingers across the drawing he had made. “There will be five towers on the sloping walls to the main gate on the outer walls. The five towers will be your lookout to the farmlands and the forest.”

“Each tower will hold eight archers to defend it, and the ramparts will hold an archer on every gap. The outer walls will be thick to the length of man, and it height thrice that of the man.” Merlin explained his drawings. “There will be the main gate that will be sturdy with the double layer of wood and reinforced with the metal rung for durability.”


“There will be a side gate on the slope for the escape to the bay. There will the inner walls that will cover the top of the hill and protect the inner castle which is your home, my Lord.” Merlin gestured to the hill area. “It thickness of less but it was to be the last bastion of the castle. It will have wall openings for the archers and above all, its gate will be as sturdy as the outer walls’ one.”

It was then Merlin stopped and looked at Arthur. The later was not looking at the drawings but at the designer. He then asked Merlin a question in his mind.

“You speak of the walls made of stones. Your towers are deemed the same.” Arthur frowned his expression. “Do you see stones here that I could use?”


Merlin stepped back and then jabbed forth another parchment. He had the answers to everything.

“There is, my Lord. A quarry sits near us although it had been long abandoned. There are remains of its task and more could be taken.”

“Pray to me to who can I get them for me? The men in the village are fewer now since some have left after the battle. Peter is dead, and to whom may I ask for assistance?” Arthur stared into the bay. It was sad to him that despite the promises, some of the villagers have left. They cited their reasons from the bad tidings of the event to the loss of their loved ones.


“Peter is dead but I am not.” Merlin quipped up on his expression. “I could do the task and get the help. I have been busy with my mind. I got with me a handful of ladies to assist. We lost many of your friends, but with the Gods on my side, I have a family of masons to assist in the building of the castle. They have travelled by and agree to the task. Though I may need your assistance.”

“I promised them the quarry in exchange.” Merlin looked down at his toes. “It was a good bargain then.”


“Of which I owned not the land but how am I to give it?” Arthur asked back. He then looked to the bay once more. “Perhaps I can throw you in as their slave for lifetime may helped in the negotiation.”

“That deed had been done but it’s not myself that I sold to them but the new designs that I will build for them. It will assist in their task.” Merlin raised to the occasion smiled once more. “I am sure the quarry represented no interest to anyone except those masons.”


“I dread to think of your promises.” Arthur sighed. “I think what we really need is a load of gold. I know not where and how to get it.”


“Perhaps you do, druid. After all, it had not eluded me that druids could make gold….” Merlin cut in on the unfounded accusation.

“I stand clear of that, my Lord. Gold is also the lure of the demons for us. I have not seen any druid able to change the stones into gold.” Merlin replied. “I am a humble druid and with me, the tasks I could perform are of function than greed.”

“Speak no more, druid.” With that Arthur walked away leaving Merlin holding his drawings. The leader had on his mind thinking of the gold he was to get if he was to build the castle. It was a fine drawing and he liked the idea but without gold, his dream will not be a reality. He bumped into Percival who was watching the farmlands. Arthur joined him then.

“Healthy land and yet we lack the healthy hands.” Percival lamented on the waste there. “These poor sods don’t know where to lay their hands on. They think the sea offer them better but they missed the best here.”


“I had seen the farms here. They are mostly rearing dairy cows and other sorts. Farming of vegetables are few with the mountainous terrain and marshlands.” Arthur cut in but Percival was there to reply.

“I know my farming very well. I was one before joining the Legion. I grew crops when I could.” Percival smiled. “These are arable lands. There should be wheat, barleys and vegetable roots there but they toiled with the bare numbers and waste of the soil.”

Arthur shook his head and proceeded on. When he reached the village, he saw Lancelot staggering out. The man was drunk and almost fell on the tavern steps. Arthur managed to grab the drunken man and led him to a nearby stool.

“Sorry, Arthur. I had one too many then.” Lancelot leaned over and coughed out some of the potent brew. He then straighten up and looked at the standing Arthur next to him. “Pardon that one. Did I tell you an amusing tale I heard in there?”

Arthur was to walk on but Lancelot held out his hand to stop the man.

“Please hear me out. The guy in there told me that there are rebellious landowners around here.” Lancelot turned to cough out more of the potent contents from his body. He then continued with the mix of pungent taste that escaped his mouth.

“These land owners defied Utter Pendragon. They feigned their allegiance and robbed the villagers or farmlands of their harvest.” Lancelot laughed. “I think we ought to seek justice for them too.”


Arthur ignored the drunken man and took his walk. He was surprised to see Percival looking at him. The other may had followed Arthur there. The later motioned to Lancelot but Percival waved it off.

“I had seen my share of drunken talks. In the Legion, I have them sobered in the latrine pits but we are no more the Legion now.” Percival smiled and then looked at Lancelot. “I guess he is of the bad crops.”


“Nevertheless, even the bad crops have their own quality.” Percival continued on. “Do you know him? I mean close or longer than me. I had seen him before in the Legion but he hides in him dark memories.”

“Stop that, Percival. I know Lancelot well.” Arthur snapped out. “We are not in the Legion. Let us ….be ourselves.”


“And for that, I come to you now on another request. We have no coins to pay for our food.” Percival stood there and looked at the leader. “The traders will not extend to us any more food.”

Arthur’s shoulders slumped down on the realization that this was due to come to but he did not expect it so soon. He recalled his bag of coins were empty for some days. He was to speak when he saw the knight that had gone missing during the battle. The errant knight was not alone. He was with a dozen riders. Arthur recognized those riders by their looks.


“Ex-Legionnaires.” Arthur mumbled. He watched them rode up and then Sir Kay dismounted before him. The other was to speak when Arthur lashed out with his right fist at the face. Sir Kay fell back on the blow and then crouched up. The riders reached for their sword but Sir Kay stopped them.


“Hold onto your swords.” Sir Kay called out. “He is Arthur.”


Sir Kay then stood up and faced Arthur once more. His hands reached out to cover his face but Arthur was quick. He grabbed the hands and pulled it away. He then screamed at Sir Kay but the later spoke up fast.

“I left the village when I saw the battle was won. I did some thinking before it and realized we need the numbers. I went recruiting for more men. I was looking for ex-fighters with our type of experiences. I got them at the taverns and on the road. I told them of our new task. We can’t fight with those feeble fishermen.”

Arthur glared at the arrogant knight. He was in mind to dismiss the knight. It was Percival who stepped in.

“You fool!” Percival was to swing his fist at Sir Kay when Arthur stopped him.


“He is still one of ours. So back off.” Arthur held the other off. He then turned to Sir Kay. “Ride out now. You are finished with the knights.”


Sir Kay glared at the man who had then dismissed him. He pushed Arthur and then re-mounte
d his horse. He rode off with the mercenaries that he had brought along. Percival also stared at the departing riders. He then looked at Arthur.

“Fucking mercenaries! All they want was gold.” Arthur cursed out.
“I am in need of it too.”

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...