Friday, November 4, 2016

Arthur; the Legead and Myth Chapter 3

3.
The bathhouse was called the calidarium with the hot room, heated by wood fire which steam flows below the bath area. The bath area was modest with its capacity to fit ten persons with personal space. There was the line of basins on the right side of the room with its cold room for those who find the heat unbearable. The bath house was an extended part of the mansion. Merlin lowered himself into the warm comforting water in the bathhouse. It caught the attention of Arthur who had immersed himself at the other end. The later had retreated there to avoid the druid but the later had caught up there. It was not the sight of the naked man that stirred his curiosity but the body was marked with motifs and inscriptions on every part of his body except his hands and heels.
“Speak nor asked.” Merlin sighed in appreciation when the pores of his body became receptive to the warmth while his eyes flowed on the motifs that were drawn on the bathhouse walls. The motifs told him nothing unless one was into ancient druids drawings. “I will tell you of my body. It had a lifelong attachment to my life.”
“I am a druid as you may have seen by my art of deflecting the dagger. It’s to do with the art of moving the elements with your mind and hands. I am truly a novice despite my elderly appearance.” Merlin ran his right hand over his face and then over his head. “Or my elderly appearance lacked the respectable beard and notable white brows.”
“Or whatever there was to be there.” Merlin completed his explanation with the bite of his teeth on the huge slab of meat served as part of the layout from the serving hall. “Good food here. I have not a complete meal for days. No one appreciates a druid at their homes unless it’s to spook the neighbors.”
Arthur remaining silent then leaned back in the bath.
“Tell me Aron. Have you ever thought that maybe you are not to be a farmer or a sheep herder?”
It was then Arthur decided to vacate when he saw the druid immersed the hands that was oily into the bath. He climbed out and reached for the bath cloth to wipe off the water.
“A man of scars. Are those from the battles which you have survived?” The druid asked of the other. It was casuing an embarrassment to Arthur who then had covered himself.
“Pardon me but I meant no intrusion there.” The druid smiled at Arthur. “I am ever …direct.”
“Clam it!” Arthur was irritated that the druid will not remain incognito and continued talking.
“I am a person of peace. Conflicts of the flesh with weapons scares me. I avoid them like plagues but I admit that with my skills, I have abetted in many of those conflicts.” The druid confessed to Arthur. “Do you….”
“Druid, I am not keen to learn of your skills or kills despite your personal stand on peace.” Arthur snapped back. “I am a Legionnaire and killing is part of my skills.”
“I know that well, Arthur of Bedyr, Or pardon me it should be Aron of Wales.” The druid explained back. “There are other skills you hold that are …in needs.” The druid replied. “I am sure you may have used them but ignored by you as part of your …role.”
“I cared not.” Arthur replied. “Now leave me alone.”
 “Pardon me on that.” Merlin sat up with both his hands seen above the surface. The silence prevailed then between the two men for a while before Arthur spoke once more.
“Tell me of the visions.” Arthur cut in on the subject. He did not tell the other of his own demonic dreams.  He had them for some years then with images of him in battles with the others and the round table. He had taken it to the life he had led then as a Centurion but the dreams ended with his death. For that he had never mentioned to anyone of the dreams.
“The visions? Yes, we were a family of …soothsayers they named us. Five generations of mine and then came to me. I was the one who had the visions more lucid. I told them of my vision and for that, they banished me. Their exact words were the vision of mine may break or unite the islanders.” Merlin smiled. “I doubt it…”
“Tell me of the visions.” Arthur snapped in. “Your next feast depends on it.”
“Excalibur.” That was all Merlin said.
“Excalibur the Sword? I think you have earned yourself the last supper here.” Arthur stood up from the bath water and turned to step away when Merlin stopped him.
“You dreamed of it. I know from your look. You were the one the one holding it.”
“Yes, I did. And I died holding it.” Arthur replied with snide. “I do not wish to discuss it. Everyone knew of the sword. Its’ legend that surround it but we all knew it’s only a myth. The sword does not exist. Not even the Fragarach; the sword forged by the Gods and wielded by Manannan mac Lir and Lugh Lamfada. That sword was claimed that no armor could stop it, and grant its wielder command over the powers of wind.”
“Nay, the Fragarach does not exist anymore. It was taken by the Gods but not the Excalibur. It does exist but was kept hidden for generations from the ones seeking it.” Merlin explained. “I should know for it us who kept it hidden. We kept it hidden until the rightful have come for it.”
It was Merlin’s eyes that betrayed his words.
“And who is it? Me? I think not. I am a citizen of Rome now. I served no one except my own loyalty.” Arthur refuted the claim. “Not since when I was born.”
“Born? Were you truly the son of the blacksmith from the town of Liam. I think not. Aron of Wales, you were not of Liam but of Westmorland. Your real father is Utter Pendragon with the lass from the village near the coast.” Merlin voiced out. “Your birthmark of the dragon motif on your left side of the chest marked your legacy. Your father had seen the signs from the skies that night. According to the tales, he claimed it was a dragon shaped star that soared past him above on the skies. It was claimed that the motif soon appeared on his chest and tom his offsprings.”
“More debauchery to impress me?” Arthur reached for the towel by the bath side and wrapped himself in it. “I am not impressed at it. And I hold no such mark on my body that tells me I am the son of Pendragon.”
“What if I tell you helped him build the castle? I cleared the dragons from the river and build ….” It was then Merlin had to do the vile thing; the water in front of him was swirling and it caught Arthur’s attention.
“Pardon me but it was needed.” The druid smiled.
“I wished you will not do that.” Arthur cautioned the other. “We still need to share the bath water for tonight. Or at least I was.”
That drew laughter from the two of them and soon the duo had somehow made the needed introductions to close the confrontation views. Merlin then vacated the bath and began to dress. He saw Arthur staring at him.
“I do hold a better view in the front but if it’s there you liked, wait till you are King. Then it’s yours for the taking.”
That drew laughter from  both of them.
“In the course of learning the arts, I was subjected to many acts that will make another cringed in pain. I endured it all and had the needed spells marked on my body. It was one way to carry the parchments or having it on me.” Merlin smiled. “It’s there too. I had it for its hardness effect.”
Both men laughed then at the vile thought.
“So you heard of the castle that Pendragon could not build to last the next dawn.” Arthur had heard of the tales that Utter Pendragon had tried to divert the river Eden to provide its moat, as is recalled in a well-known local couplet.” Merlin then recited the verses that spoke of it. “Let Utter Pendragon do what he can, Eden will run where Eden ran.”
“Enough of your ramblings. I made a mistake of inviting you to my life.” Arthur replied with sarcasm. “I would suggest you leave the same way you came in. Quietly please. I am in need to sleep now.”

“As you commanded, my King.” Merlin replied.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...