Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Heroes Return VI: Book One London Chapter 21

21.

 

Professor Moriarty's personal residence was in Pimlico, but he was mostly at the university campus, where he maintained a small chamber to call his restful area. It was a sparse chamber with the single bed and the privy, with the corner adorned with the kitchen top and drawers. He had returned to get a change of clothes. The university was kind to allow him a place to rest, but the amenities stopped there.

The professor let himself in and took his bag of sodden clothes to the kitchen area. His housekeeper, Mrs. Melois, will come over once a week to do the cleanup and his laundry. He had walked in with his walking cane and then proceeded to his study area. That was his personal sanctum for him to think. He picked up the glass and poured himself a huge glass of sherry. He took a huge gulp and then approached the drawing board that was fixed to the wall near the window. He started his notation of the variables.

‘Treasury’

‘Japan’

‘Doctor Mitsui Ogata’

‘Sherlock’

‘Oni Society’

“You may want to include my name.” The voice was behind the professor. Professor Moriarty turned and saw the intruder into his home.

“Doctor John Watson. Why am I not surprised?”

“Good day, Moriarty.” The man known as John Watson approached the other at the board.

“How did…. Ignore my curiosity, Doctor.” The professor stepped to the working desk of his at the study. “I do not invite guests to my home here in particular.”

“I am aware. You have three guards on the house opposite and one other as your right neighbour." Watson stepped to the seat in front of the desk. “I am an ex-assassin, as you may be aware, and stealth is my expertise.”

“You have your…expertise, which I was told declined since you retired to the countryside.”

“A scenario I portrayed to elude my enemies. It is difficult to leash my expertise, for I am who I was. Anyway, your neighbour is fast asleep, courtesy of the drug I induced into him. A burly cockney but lacking the ferocity of the bulldog. We nocked and exchanged some blows, but he does lack practice. Once done, I have learned from Holmes to position him so the others can see him but are unaware of his condition.”

“Surely, the former regimental best cannot be deceived so easily.” The professor towards the window.

“I had known that. I had to give them a lesson in opioid drugs, courtesy of Holmes. It was enough to intoxicate them for a restful evening. Men of the regiment also love their ale from the barrel. I was the lucky one to deliver that this morning. The efforts of Holmes to coach me in disguise helped. Who denies the barrel man in his weekly delivery?"

“Bravo, Doctor Watson. I am impressed.” The professor moved to the board and scribbled the new name there with his right hand while his left hand rested on the edge of the board.

“Oh, Professor. I removed the gun behind the board. And given your untimely urge to drink, I believe the word "opioid" may be registered with you as a variable.”

“You also poisoned my drink, Doctor. I am awed by your brashness. I am not a fighter like yourself.” Professor Moriarty lowered the glass.

“A good shooter, if I am to recall of yourself. Your bi-weekly visit to the shooting range may elude many, but Holmes told me of your skills there. Was it a Bulldog design? Small and compact is that design.”

“Now tell me why you are here. We hardly meet in the dark.” Professor Moriarty stepped away from the drawing board.

“I am, for one, attacked by an assassin of oriental origin when I was to head home. I was then dragged into the case of the murdered minister and followed up on the death of one emissary. Honestly, I am not keen.”

“Shed the cover, Doctor. We know why you were targeted. One, the assassin was not mine; as if I ever knew, there would be none. I will have you kept intact. Better to keep one’s own enemy alive till they are done. And you are not done yet with my variables. However, your silent role with the Oni Society was made known to me for some time. I believed Holmes knew that too. It was no coincidence that you were involved.”

“I think the subtlety of denial will not be needed.” Doctor John Watson looked at the professor. “I was approached by the Oni Society a year ago after I went into retirement. I will not deny nor confirm my participation in their tasks, if any. They do pay well, but I am a retired assassin and now a simple countryside healer. I do not kill for money.”

“However, the murders of the three persons are assumed to be the work of the Oni Society; the mode of the kill does not surprise me. But it came to my attention that it was not the works of the Oni Society but one other named the Yomi Demons.”

“Yomi Demons?”

“Do not patronize me, Professor. You knew of the Yomi Demons, but how deep are they involved? The latter is working with some other person or persons that want to establish here. and to get the mining rights. It was to fund their treasury. You knew that too. They had approached me. I declined. They do not like to be rejected. Now, they may be sorting out the loose ends.”

“Viola! The new variables make the formulation more challenging.” Professor Moriarty laughed. “You did not surprise me, Doctor. You amazed me here. You will make a good mathematician.”

“Among other skills. I am baffled by your role. You are a bystander to me. Or perhaps I am wrong.” Doctor John Watson approached the board. He wrote on it the name "Professor Moriarty." “Sometimes, we tend to see the variables but never the ones that may be us."

“Then I will add in your name, Doctor Watson.” Professor Moriarty wrote the name on the board.

“Tell me, Professor. Why did you meet the doctor at the cafĂ©?” Watson asked. “You have your informants, as do I."

“I am intrigued. You have never been an exponent of mine. I met the doctor because …… I have interest in the mining rights in Africa and the Yomi Demons, whom I was approached to be their adviser here in London. It was never made known, even to my associate, Colonel Moran.”

“You do not trust the Colonel?” Doctor John Watson asked.

“Trust is not the same as personal rewards. I am to retire soon, and all I have here is to be handed down to the colonel. However, I am to have a personal treasury of mine. What did they say in economics: "inflationary factors.” Professor Moriarty added another name to the board: Ian Masterson.

“Ian Masteron was to give me the full report on the mining. He, rather unfortunately, died… or rather went missing at sea.” Professor Moriarty looked at the doctor. “In my world, missing and dead are two distinct variables.”

“Are you indicating to me that Ian Masterson may not be dead?” Doctor John Watson asked.

“Nothing is fixed in the mathematical question until we equate it out.” Professor Moriarty smiled. “Like yourself, you were not a variable until now. I am ……”

“I should have assumed. Ian Masterson knew of the mining reports. He was in China and may have made arrangements with the Oni Society to get the mining done in the Congo. He was to return here to consolidate his reports and not report to the ministry.”

“You are misdirected, Doctor. It is not an incision but a suture needed. Ian Masterson was to meet the one who knew more on the mining, and the minister was a removable variable. He had done his part to piece together the missing puzzles and was removed. Minister Leeson was killed by the Yomi Demons, as far as I know. They had to remove him, for he knew enough to implicate them. Mindy Kewala is the next piece, for she held the reports. She is missing now.”

“She is with the Greystokes.” Doctor John Watson said.

“Is she? My network mentioned that she left recently. I am implying that she may know more than you may know.” Professor Moriarty added the name Mindy Kewala.

“And, Doctor Watson. May I inform you that Ian Masterson may be in London. Or Liverpool. He is elusive. Or the other person. The old man. He may be feeble, but his mind works well. Do not underestimate the old man.”

“And please leave by the front door. Colonel Moran will not shoot you yet. He just wants to see you leave. However, he does value your solution to his field of security more than me. He just signalled me from the opposite house. He is there with a team of his own.” Professor Moriarty smiled. “Doctor, I am a careful man. I do travel with my personal guards.”

“And my regards to Sherlock Holmes. I hope he sleeps well every night.” Doctor Watson ignored the man, and walked out.

“However, I do not need to share my thoughts with them on my variables.” Professor Moriarty left alone then wiped the board of the names. “All I need is my beautiful mind. Cheers, Holmes. May yours be clear too.”

 


No comments:

Heroes Return VI: Book One London Chapter 22

  22.    “Ms. Kewala, I thought we were to go to Farrington." Ngamba, who was leading the Waziri warriors, approached the lady. He ...