23.
Doctor Mitsui Ogata sat on his haunches in
the living chamber of an old friend who came with the Iwakura Delegation in
1872 and remained in London. The living area was covered with the tatami cover,
and an area was designed to heat the teapot.
“Arigatogozimas, Hiroshima-san.” The
doctor bowed to his friend, an academician who was serving tea to him.
“I am ever thankful for your visit, Sensei
Ogata.” The other man was an elderly man dressed in the montsuki (紋付)
style, a typically black, often silk-made kimono worn over traditional Japanese
clothing known as hakama. The man had his hair designed in the chonmage (丁髷),
a traditional Japanese topknot haircut worn by men. “How is life here,
Hiroshima-san?”
“Difficult, but so is the terrain at the
horizon. Nothing is like home, but we adapt.”
“You could go back, Hiroshima-san.” The
doctor raised the option.
“I could, but there is no one left there.
My family is only me. I've never wedded and have no kids with anyone. My
parents are dead in Japan.”
“True. I apologize for asking.” The doctor
bowed once more. “It was rude of me."
“Do not be, Sensei. We are...rather, I am
a ronin in some manner. I hold no association to any.” The man smiled. “I may
be asking for your visit here now.”
“I shall not hold anything back from you,
Hirohisma-san. You came with the Iwakura delegation, but your expertise was in
mining. You had worked at Manchuria and copper at sites at Ashio.”
“I did and came here to learn more on the
workings, but we are not much different. I begged to stay on to improve here.”
Hiroshima-san sighed.
“Yet you were attached briefly to the
mining operation of Leeson and Associate.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata looked at the
man.
“I was, at the request of one named Ian
Masterson. He told me to get involved with the Oni Society. I am not one to
decline that request.” Hiroshima-san bowed to the sensei. “We all have our
purpose, and mine was to be the engineer there.”
“Do you have the notes?” Doctor Mitsui
Ogata asked. “You are an academic. Your true work lies in writing down the
findings.”
“I did. The notes were given to Ito
Matsuke when he asked for them. He is the senior member of the Oni Society. I
cannot refuse him.”
“Do you know he also works for Ian
Masterson?” Doctor Mitsui Ogata asked.
“Work for? No, he is the associate member
of the Leeson Associates, which included Masterson.” Hiroshima-san bowed. “I
apologize for not telling this earlier."
“What else are you not telling me,
Hiroshima-san?”“I…… I will tell, Sensei.” The man looked down to tatami.
“I am not alone in the city. My real
reason is I am with a lover, a gaijin. His name is Trevor Nottings. In our
country, it is not disallowed, but here in England, it is a crime.” The man
bowed his head. “I am not ashamed, but I fear the retribution towards Trevor.”
“Ito Matsuke knows?”
“Yes, he does. He threatened to expose me
if I do not work for him," Hiroshima-san said. “Ito Matsuke is a member of
the Yomi Demons. They are powerful and held many at their calls.”
“Hiroshima-san, I have no control over
your afflictions, but your ……. Undisclosed information and working for the
rebels have displeased me. Our honour in the society had been tarnished. You do
know of the need to clear this dishonour?"
“Yes, Sensei. I know. But I have a
request. I am not a strong person. Can you be my second?”
Doctor Mitsui Ogata nodded.
“We will do it at sundown. Get your
personal matters resolved by then. I will be back.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata got up
and left the house.
It was then Lord Greystoke got the
telegram on the demise of his warriors. Only Megmu had survived to tell the
truth.” He was at the porch of the mansion and hollered out.
“Bundolo!” Lord Greystokes called out.
“Your deaths will be avenged.”
“John, what happened?” Lady Jane rushed to
meet her lover. He handed over the telegram to her and then walked to the
Waziri’s village. They will need to be told by him of the event.
"The devil whispered, 'You cannot
withstand the storm.' The warrior replied, "I am the storm." Lord
Greystokes stood there before the Waziri warriors he had gathered at the
village. He had stripped to his familiar wear of the jungle and stood tall on
the mound to address them.
“Here in this foreign land, we will not
fear the devil. We are the warriors. We will survive anyway.” The leader of the
warriors roared out. “Kreegah. (Beware).”
“We will thrive. Built from struggle.
Formed from pain. Strengthened by adversity."
“Bundolo!” The warriors chanted back.
“Your deaths will be avenged.”Lord Greystokes then announced the three days of
mourning for the death. He walked back to the mansion and saw Lady Jane waiting
there.
“John, there must be a reason. I know
Mindy.”
“The leopard does not change its spots.
Mindy Kewala will pay the price for the betrayal.” Lord Greystokes looked at
his lover. “She may be our friend, but betrayal ceased to be our relationship.”
Let me find her.” Lady Greystokes looked
at the man.
“You are with a child. You cannot be
running out there. I will find her, and if it's proven, I will do justice. That
I can promise to you.”
“No, John. Anger and vengeance are
clouding your judgment. Find the others and get their help," Lady Jane
pleaded. “You cannot be judge, jury, and … killer.”
“Who? The authorities? They know not of
our ways.”
“Find Holmes. He will help.” Lady Jane
looked at the man she loves.
“Do not shed the blood of the innocent.
Find the truth and let justice prevail.”
“You are asking me to seek the devil who
killed our child.” Lord Greystokes cried out.
“Our child was not killed by him. It was a
part of the battle then. I cannot blame it all on him. He ……. We are also at
fault there.”
“Fine. I will seek him, but you are to
stay here. Be safe till I return.” Lord Greystokes looked at the lady he loves.
“Our child here must survive.”
Lady Greystokes nodded.
Meanwhile, Doctor John Watson and Nayland
Smith took their attendance with Holmes. They were brief on the happenings with
Mindy Kewala.
"Unbelievable…" Nayland sighed.
“Is John…" Doctor John Watson was
trying to piece the words together there.
“John is a … fine man. He will come to
term with the issue.” Sherlock continued looking out the window. It felt like
years ago when they had met then in Africa, the Greystokes and Holmes on an
adventure with several others looking for King Solomon’s treasure. The loss of
the baby for the Greystokes was inevitable.
“Yes, Lady Greystoke. They removed the ….
child. It was tainted.” The frail figure seated on the seat voiced it in a
concerned tone. (Heroes Return I Page 74). Jane Greystokes was devastated and
never forgave all of them for causing her loss of the child. It also affected
their relationship; the Greystokes retired to their estate and refused to have
any contact with anyone outside. The Waziri warriors were brought in to bring
balance to their existence, and John Greystokes loved his people.
“I dealt with many ladies who had lost
their child. We can never comprehend their emotions.” Doctor John Watson said.
“We are…" Nayland Smith was to cut in when Doctor John Watson continued.
“Emotional bastards, are we? I know the accusation. I have removed a man's
limbs or pulled a bullet out to have the patient die later. Yes, we are
emotional bastards! We lacked empathy to death. She stands over us at
every…"
“Enough, Watson.” Sherlock intervened in
his rare moments of outburst. “Right now, we are solving a case involving the
death of some… friends."
“Doctor, do you have anything for my
pain?” Sherlock looked at Watson and then shook his head. “Never mind. Tell me
the event surrounding Mindy Kewala brought in a different angle to the case. Is
she a victim or an associate to the murders?” Sherlock looked to Mycroft. “How
was she vetted by the Foreign Office?”
“Vetted… We are checking.” Mycroft bit his
tongue there. He was too argumentative on the manner of the honour of the
office but felt it was irrelevant then.
Doctor Watson glared at Sherlock then.
No comments:
Post a Comment