19.
After their hefty meal, the trio retired
to the armchairs, with Sherlock holding the violin. He was strumming the
strings there when Mycroft asked him to stop.
“Be a jolly fellow and play Auld Lang
Syne." Mycroft said.
“I was playing Cliffs of Maher. It is in
Ireland," Sherlock said. “It is a lovely jig…"
“Was until you played.” Mycroft cut in.
“Shall we discuss the case? I just got words from the office that the
Greystokes estate was under attack late morning.”
“Any casualties?” Watson asked.
“A couple of assailants of the far eastern
origin and one Waziri warrior.” Mycroft read the numbers from his head.
“Oni Society?” Sherlock lowered his
violin. “I am……"
“Yes, Oni Society.” Mycroft said. “One of
the intruders confessed. He was questioned…. I was told it was by the Waziri
warriors. They are efficient in that.”
“Let us piece the puzzle now.” Sherlock
cut in. “We have the so-named participants, the Oni Society? Who are they? A
syndicate, as in with criminal intent? Let us recap.”
“The Oni Society was mentioned by Doctor
Mitsui Ogata when he met us in London. Prior to this, there was no mention of
it. I knew of the Oni Society, for they've been around in London for over five
years or longer. Like many, they are migrants from the Far East.”
“Doctor Mitsui Ogata is here as a delegate
of his government into the functions of the treasury, which in this requirement
got Minister Leeson involved, but during the discussion we were diverted to the
Oni Society.”
“Let us focus back on the Oni Society.
Doctor Mitsui Ogata claimed in his words, "A network of intimidators,
including criminal elements that are here to prevent their expansion.” Sherlock
looked back into his memories. “The Oni Society was claimed to be managed by a
group of influential names, including the military. Since then, they have
eliminated over a dozen leaders here and in the Far East and held to their
influence over more.”
“They are no different from the
Bolsheviks, then.” Mycroft cut in.
“No, Mycroft. The Bolshevik, as a distinct
political group, did not formally exist during the 1800s; there were some roots
taking place then, but the real roots of the movement were established during
the late 19th century through the development of Russian Marxism.” Sherlock
corrected the other one. “Please do not look at this with a narrow focus as an
anarchist movement."
“You did ask what that has to do with
us." Sherlock looked at Mycroft. “Doctor Mitsui Ogata quoted a parable
that Fu Manchu may be involved.”
“Fu Manchu is……. Retired. Nayland Smith
was reassigned to this case.” Mycroft said.
“A diversion or a red herring here, I am
unsure.” Sherlock looked at the other. “However, I have my information.
Supernatural was mentioned. They are said to be cannibalistic or savages in
their methods. Most Far East organizations I had investigated are that capable.
It is in their operation mode. We tend to frown on it, but when has any killing
been humane?”
“I asked for their real works from the
doctor. He said they wanted colonization as we did, but it was not sanctioned.
They are looking at alternatives. And you, Mycroft said we are the best
teachers at it.”
“I did?” Mycroft was puzzled.
“I questioned the doctor on the assassins
called the ninja. He denied them, as the Oni Society has its own. Then you,
Mycroft, referenced the minister as a possible target. Why?”
“There was a reported threat, and it was
true.” Mycroft affirmed his action. “The minister was killed by assailants that
resembled the ones mentioned by the doctor.”
“That intrigued me. Why the Minister?”
Sherlock looked at Mycroft. “Assuming the doctor knew that beforehand, why did
he involve the minister in the discussion?”
“And what was the agenda that day?”
Treasury functions? Which we did not touch on? Surely, the country needs the
expertise of Minister Leeson if they are to create the treasury function.”
“Let us move on," Sherlock then
placed his fingers at his forehead. “Minister Brian Lesson was in the
exchequer, but his other field was mining.”
Sherlock looked at the fireplace. “He was
previously the man who argued for coal price control. He was killed shortly
that day.”
“Then the focus went to his aide, Mindy
Kewala.” Sherlock continued.
“You did mention Moriarty. Nasty chap to
be included.” Watson snapped in. It was Nayland Smith who stepped in.
“My apologies for being late. I was held
up by some other matter.” Nayland took the seat next to Mycroft.
“I invited Nayland as he is adding me on
the case. He is also familiar with the Far East operatives.” Mycroft looked at
Watson. “He was also posted to India once.”
“I believe you were at the sea port.”
Sherlock looked at the other.
“Yes, I missed the steamer that Charlie
Song was on.” Nayland brushed the stains off this jacket.
“I am sorry you missed it. The train to
the sea port is erratic at times. They prioritize the cargo trains to
there," Sherlock said. “The sea salt on your jacket and shoes reveal your
call.”
“Let us move on.” Sherlock looked at
Mycroft. “Leave aside Moriarty. Let us focus on Mindy Kewala. She is the aide
to the minister but doing the work of a geologist at best.”
“Why are we hiring geologists to work in
the Treasury? An extra lining not reported to the prime minister?"
“Mindy was assisting the minister with my
knowledge on the mining rights there in her Congo area. If it were done, it
would add to our coffers here.” Mycroft smiled. “I was told of it just today
when the staff revealed the works there. And she is not the mistress of the
Minister. They work close and why is it so absurd to say that man in power have
mistresses. I am without one.”
“We are aware of that," Watson cut
in. “And Mindy Kewala took sanctuary with Lord Greystokes. Why?”
“The country home was invaded by persons
unknown. The staff there was killed. And the lady was at the village to get
supplies. She was informed by her guard, Lieutenant Gavin McLeod and on her
advice took her to the Greystokes estate. She is a friend of Lady Greystokes.”
“Naturally.” Mycroft muttered.
“And that was why the Greystokes estate
was attacked? Was Ms. Kewala there?” Sherlock asked.
“No, she was not. Not even Lieutenant
McLeod knew of her whereabouts. Lord Greystokes was not to tell. He is more
stubborn than a baboon.” Mycroft said.
“Yes, baboons are considered extremely
stubborn, persistent, and intelligent animals, particularly when searching for
food or navigating human-dominated landscapes. John Greystokes told me so. But
I am sure your reference to them was John did not like you, and so was the
baboon we met as kids in the zoo.” Sherlock looked at his violin. “Memories ran
deep inside me.”
“Anyway, I got the report from there. And
added to that, I was not afraid of the baboon.” Mycroft corrected Sherlock. “It
was the goose who chased after me.”
“I will assume she is not in hiding but
running again, or to find what she has not.” Sherlock interjected in. “I meant
Mindy Kewala.”
“That left us with Moriarty.” Sherlock
looked at Watson. “Your question raised.”
“No, that is now my cue to speak. I was
attacked on the train after leaving here. I have no knowledge of the killing,
and yet I was targeted.” Watson sounded upset. “Why?”
“That is most intriguing.” Sherlock then
looked at Nayland. “I believed you were too.”
“Yes, by old man Fu Manchu’s men,
apparently. I was told by the old man that the case was more than met the
eyes.” Nayland sighed.
“You sure did not meet his eyes when you
eloped.” Mycroft smiled.
“I ……. I shall not discuss that now.”
Nayland looked away.
“Okay, we can summarize that our findings
are at best still open," Sherlock said. “I can add to that the dead body
found in the hotel chamber was not Doctor Mitsui Ogata but one named Kataka
Sukimora. He is one of the military attachés to the consulate. His remains were
identified by the amulet he wore and the wound on the forearm.”
“Why was he……” Sherlock was interrupted by
the arrival of one of his boys. The lad handed over the messages.
“There is something from Collins and
Thames. I met them downstairs.” The lad smiled.
“A guinea for you, and one each for
Collins and Thames. Be good, boys.” Sherlock looked at the written messages.
“A guinea for delivery? Pardon me, old
chap. You are putting the delivery business on top, dry.” Mycroft tossed a
protest there.
“Not when I am getting fast-needed
messages.” Sherlock said while reading the messages. “Says here a person
fitting the description of Kataka Okimura met Doctor Mitsui Ogata at the hotel;
they went up together.”
“If that was the person whom you said died
in the explosion, then Doctor Mitsui Ogata is alive.” Mycroft called out. “I
will get the yard to locate him."
“The other message was Mindy Kewala is
with the entourage of warriors headed to Farrington. I assumed she was
collecting something or meeting someone.”
"Are you to go to Farrington then?”
Watson asked.
“No, I do not think that is needed. Ms.
Kewala is in capable hands, and she will return to the Greystokes estate.”
Sherlock shook his head and then read the last message.
“One other message was somebody did see a
person abseiling from the window of the chamber and enter the chamber below. A
few seconds later Doctor Mitsui Ogata’s chamber exploded.”
“I will check on that. The doctor was
under my watch.” Nayland stood up. “I will also check on some associates who
are familiar with the Japanese.”
“Another message. I believe we are going
to have tea soon. Mrs. Hudson is on the way up.” Sherlock picked up his violin.
“Cliff of Mahor, anyone keen? I have to think.”
No comments:
Post a Comment