Monday, September 21, 2026

Heroes Return VI: Book One London Chapter 24

 

24. 

 

"Gi" (Justice/Rectitude) ……. Be honest in all dealings and do the right thing.”

“Yū (Courage)... Face danger and death without hesitation.”

“Jin (Benevolence) ……. Show mercy and compassion.”

“Rei (Respect)…. Be polite and respectful to all, including enemies.”“Makoto (Sincerity) ……. Keep your word and act honestly.”

“Meiyō (Honor)… Maintain your reputation and dignity above all else.”

“Chūgi (Loyalty)... Be loyal to your master until death.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata bowed his head. He had just said the codes of Bushido. He had acted as the second for Hiroshima-san, who had committed seppuku to restore his honour. He had committed his dishonour when he betrayed his Lord.

“Hiroshima-san, your honour is restored.” Doctor Mitsui placed the head of the samurai into the box he had brought. He reflected on his own honour; he was a ronin when his lord, Age Yomiuri, died. He recalled his battle with Sukimora. The katana he had used to commit the second was placed before the dead man.

“Sensei, I cannot do this.” Sukimora stopped his fight. He had attacked with the ‘Shako Ken’ strike, aiming to incapacitate the other.

“Sukimora, I taught you better than that.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata retaliated with the ‘Kiten Shuto’; the right-hand fingers firmed up to form a sword. He aimed at the left elbow but impacted the forearm.

“Sensei, I came to warn you. The Yomi demons are onto you.” Sukimora stepped back, nursing his forearm. “You sent me here to check on them. I did and found Ito Matsuke is the senior here. There is one other who oversees them.”

“I did, and did you not join them later? Why, Sukimora?” Doctor Mitsui moved in on the next move. The move was fast; the doctor had the other in an offensive manoeuvre. Sukimora had struck out with the Mikazuki Sokushi Geri (Crescent Kick), a kicking technique aiming to knock down an opponent. The doctor had anticipated that and did the Oni Kudaki (Shoulder Lock), a common, effective joint lock.

“You are predictable, Sukimora. I had a counter to that kick many times from you.” The doctor had moved in to deflect the kick and applied pressure on the right heel. He heard the bones there cracked. Sukimora fell backwards onto his knees.

“My apologies, Sensei. I was weak.” Sukimora bowed to the Sensei. “He caught me with some military papers of ours. Germany was keen to trade. I was to trade them for more updates, but Ito Matsuke had me framed. I had to comply with him.”

“For money, Sukimora. You sold out the country.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata went for the kill blow, the Shotokan blow on the forehead, a deadly blow focusing the strength on the knuckles aimed at the head. The young exponent fell to his side there on the flooring. Doctor Mitsui Ogata had then examined the bag brought by Sukimora. He saw the timer there and exited by the window, taking the grappling rope he had kept by it. He barely made it when the bomb exploded.

“Your timing is impeccable, Ito Matsuke.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata became aware of his surroundings then. He was still in the living area of the chamber of Hiroshima-san.

“Step forth, my disciple.”

Ito Matsuke appeared from the dark corner, dressed in black, and had the ‘ninjato’ on his waist belt.

“I came upon getting the report that..."

“You have me followed. I am aware.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata smiled. “I made myself known before I arrived here.”

“Ito, the Yomi Demons seem to be wide in their network. You have even the ‘gaijin’ in your employ.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata looked at his disciple. “I need you here to see the avenue to your betrayal; the way to redeem your honour.”

“I deem not my honour tarnished here, Sensei. I am … fulfilling another destiny of mine.” Ito Matsuke took his left foot back in the striking stance. It was the Renoji-dachi stance from the Shotokan art, with weight on the back leg for momentum to push forth. Ito had his right hand rested on the hilt of his sword.

“If it is honour, do not come with your lackeys as you also did at the forest.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata called out. Two other dark figures appeared from the dark corners. They were similarly dressed and held the long katana.

“More of mine or yours, Ito?”

“Mine actually. I had them come over a year ago. They are all ex-military and were once of the samurai class," Ito Matsuke replied. “The upheaval of the Meiji era: Japan was forced to open to the West, questioning the shōgun's political authority over maintaining Japanese sovereignty. The emperor’s rebuke of shogunal actions led to the emergence of an ideological divide within the samurai class concerned with their feudal obligations to both the shōgun and the emperor.”

“Some……"“Some samurai became shishi ("men of spirit") who were committed to the emperor’s proclamations to expel the barbarians. Factional disputes within the domains led some domains to conflict with the Tokugawa. In 1868, Emperor Meiji declared political power to be restored to the Imperial House, materialized in the Boshin War and the short-lived Republic of Ezo, but by the 1870s, the emperor's authority was practically unquestioned. The new government changed the strata of society, abolishing the old currency, the domain system, and eventually the class position of the samurai," Doctor Mitsui Ogata said. “I was there. I got most of you to train as warriors in the Oni Society.”

“We are glad, Sensei. The evolution did not stop there. We had to begin another.” Ito Matsuke bowed to his sensei. “May I request your guidance to join us?”

“I am a samurai, by honour and by service.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata replied. “My blood oath (Kishōmon) is within the Oni Society, although I serve no master now but my own.”

Historically, samurai often solidified their commitments to a lord via a kishōmon (written oath), signed with their name and often sealed with a blood thumbprint. 

“I may be a ronin, but my last unfulfilled task makes void of my new direction. I will fulfil my task before I am to take on the new journey.”

“You leave me with no choice, Sensei.” Ito Matsuke held up his left hand.

“We will battle, but not that day and not today.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata held up his right hand. “I am to find out the leader of the Yomi Demons, and today is also the day of mourning for a good friend. Two friends I lost; the second faded away. We will battle soon, Ito Matsuke, but not today. I will leave now.”

Doctor Mitsui Ogata took his leave of the chamber, unharmed. It was dusk, and with the smog, London turned dark fast.

Meanwhile, Sherlock Holmes was settling down to his supper with Doctor John Watson. They were having roast dinner with Yorkshire pudding; roast features roasted meat (often beef), crispy roasted potatoes, vegetables, and savoury gravy, accompanied by light, puffy Yorkshire puddings. Yorkshire puddings are made by baking a batter of eggs, flour, and milk in hot oil, while gravy is created from meat pan drippings.

Sherlock was playing with his vegetables, assembling them across his plate like kids do when they do not want to eat. Piles of telegrams and messages were at the side of the table.

“I doubt you could create Waterloo there. Napoleon does not look like a green pea, and I am sure the French finest looked like pudding.” Doctor John Watson sliced the pudding in half. “Are you back to your cocaine? Your pupil looked dilated, and even when I looked closer, the blood vessel constriction could be seen.”

“Please, Watson. You are not my physician," Sherlock snapped out.

“I am not. I am just a busy parker (busybody for cockney slang), gaffer.” Doctor John Watson, in his irritation, makes up his words in cockney slang. “On me, Jack, I would prefer to treat the sows in the countryside rather than you.”

“Do not hitch on the horse just yet, Watson. I need you here.” The rare moments Sherlock pleaded with the doctor. “I did take a jab of the cocaine… it is a seven percent level. It is normal……"Then at that era, cocaine was being hailed both in Europe and the United States as an effective local anaesthetic and a treatment for morphine addiction.

“Cocaine is normal for the sick. And you are not sick. You are mentally challenged in your deductive logic. I drew that to mean you are still sane but intensely focused on the issue at hand; that insanity may follow on.” Doctor John Watson looked at the man; he shared a unit in London.

“Yes, you are insane, well, not thoroughly there, but your…… Holmes, if you persist, you will develop a pernicious behaviour that may……"

“Gall at you? Was that why you left for the countryside?” Sherlock took offense to the words. Doctor John Watson stood up and dropped his napkin.

“Leaving now? Are you?” Sherlock called out. It was then Mrs. Hudson appeared.

“If I had known the roast was overly done, I would not have served it to the both of you.” Mrs. Hudson looked at the spread prepared by her.

 “Do not squabble on. You got a guest.”

“I am not seeing anyone tonight.” Sherlock pushed the plate to the side.

“You will see me.” Lord Greystokes stood at the doorway. “I came to see you on some matters of mine.”   


 

No comments:

Tweet …. Is it still Tweet, or ...... an Odyssey update.

Does not matter. I am just updating my progress... (sounds more like I am still getting... never mind...) here I cometh...... I am 100K word...