Monday, February 4, 2019

Team of Seven Heroes Short Tales 5 Chapter 5

5.

The new clue was the workings of Doctor Watson then. He was explaining the clothes and noticed the clothes were not all affected by the long immersion in the cold water of the sea.

“I was examining the clothes. The clothes were expected to be immersed in the water for over four days on the assumption that the missing person fell in then. The clothes would have been soaked to the fabric and the fishes would have feasted on the strings of fabric that could have come loose from the sea waves banging it on the corals and rocks. The area where the sea currents were to take it may had dragged it over such surfaces but I found few signs of it which were not consistent with the findings.”

“Are you telling me that the clothes may not be there that long?” Inspector Lestrade looked at the doctor. “Are you sure?”
“You can check with another doctor in London if you want to test my findings.” Watson snapped back in an irate mood. It was Sherlock who saved the day.

“Watson, are there any traces of blood on the clothing?”

“None I could see. If there were, given the time the clothes were immersed, I doubt we will get any. The sea water could wash it all off. I did find a torn sleeve on the jacket. It could be from a fight or by sea waves.”

“That is a new clue. We can look at that. Let us start with that. Let us talk with the fisherman that found the clothes.”

“My name is John Clayton. Yes, I found the jacket in the net.” John Clayton was a younger man, the fourth generation of the fishing trade.  He was dressed like the others and have the same hair cut with the tattoos on the arms. He agreed to meet the Inspector at the Station.

“I was fishing like usual and then the pulled in my net. I saw the fishes and then the jacket was in it. I pulled it off and decided to report it. I have done no wrong.” The fisherman turned defensive. He went on the tirade of doing good as taught to him by his parents and then went silent when the Inspector Lestrade questioned him.

“Tell me whether you met the missing man before? We were told that you were with him once at the Red Mane having a drink.” It took everyone there besides Lestrade by surprise. “I have my informers.”

“I refused to speak. It’s a lie.” John defended himself. With his then silence, the Inspector could not make any headway with his questions and decided to let him go.

“Why did you accuse him of knowing Leroy, and having that drink?” Sherlock asked Lestrade.

“I wanted to rattle him but he was innocent. He did not meet Leroy.” Lestrade sighed. “This case is so distant for me to see how I can find the man or even his body. I am going back to London tomorrow. Are you joining me?”

 Watson jumped to idea but Sherlock had excused himself to take a walk.

“It’s late, Sherlock. Are you sure …” Watson looked quizzed at the other.

“Yes. I am. I want to see the sunset.” Sherlock replied. He recalled that Leroy was last seen taking the evening walk.

“Sir, if I may intrude. Please avoid the cliff if you are going there.” Inspector Murray cautioned Sherlock. “It’s a dangerous area at dusk.”

“I won’t be there. I am walking to the Red Mane.”

The walk to the Red Mane was short, and he saw John Clayton there by the counter. He was alone and Sherlock joined him. He was confronted by the bartender who was shooed off with the drink placed. Sherlock looked towards the fisherman.

“Leave me alone, Sir.” John Clayton told Sherlock off. “I have regretted doing the good deed.”

“I am not here to speak on the missing man or the jacket. I am here to have a drink and besides the bartender, you are the next familiar face here.” Sherlock looked at those who were there. The two local fishermen who were there when he arrived in the morning was there. They were glaring at him.

“When are you due out for fishing?”

“Just before dawn. I am having my drink alone.” John Clayton made his point.

“I heard that but I am leaving tomorrow morning so please accommodate me.” Sherlock cut in fast. And then he moved the subject. “How long have you stayed here?”

“I had told you, I lived here. I was here when I was born. My father was here before.” John Clayton told Sherlock. “My father was a fisherman too. He was born here and so was his grandfather.”

“Is your dad here on those frames?” Sherlock cut in but then the bartender also intervened.

“John, you need not tell anything to him.” Sherlock looked to the bartender. “He is not from here.”

“It’s okay, Matt. I know how to handle him. I did nothing wrong.” John walked to the wall where the frames were hung. He pointed out his father in the frames to Sherlock.

“Was his father or grandfather who went out to hunt the Sirens?”

“Yes, he was. We all grew from them. We have them remembered here in the tattoos.” John displayed his tattoos. “I am proud to be a part of them. They were heroes. My great grandfather returned but they honoured the others who did not.”
“John, enough. The tales end now.” Matt the bartender cut in. “Mister, you are not wanted here anymore. Please leave.”
Matt the bartender had the menacing look and so were the two others who were seated at the tables who confronted Sherlock at the counter. Sherlock excused himself and returned to find the others. They were accommodated at the Inn with a constable present there as a guard.

Not everyone slept that night.

A figure sneaked out from the rear of the Inn. He made his way to the cliff holding the new design then; the torch light. It was developed by David Misell with the three batteries powering the light from the bulb. They were not to be turned on too long and had to turned off to rest. Hence the name ‘flash’ light. It was also not reliable for the lights flicked due to the batteries conditions, and the carbon filament bulbs were inefficient. The figure used it when he was unsure of the trail but soon he made it to the cliff looking at the sea below. He made his way further on towards the lighted hut on the cliff.

“Hello, can I come in?”


“Since you are here, I think you have to.” The reply was accommodating.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...