Sunday, October 21, 2018

Team of Seven Heroes Shorts Tales 3; Chapter 20 Finale


20.

Doctor Moriarty tinkered with the pencil with his right fingers, swinging the pencil like a pendulum. He was in his own library and the tea in this cup untouched. He was dressed in his dressing gown and wore slippers. He was seated at his favourite place with the window behind him. The morning sunlight was shining in and brighten up the place.

“You brought me here, nursed me, and now you are seated here watching me. Why is it so?” The other figure seated across the Doctor raised the question. “Was it to thank you?”

“No. my leader or shall I call you Mister Loggins? I am not even sure if that is your name?” Moriarty then twirled the pencil with his fingers. “I saved you for neither reason. The only reason I saved you was that you present to me a very unique equation that I had to know to solve the problem that had plagued me for months now.”

“I am Ryan Loggins, distant relative of the Millard. As I have explained before, I am linked to King John but with the years of missing history, I doubt I can ascent the throne anymore.’ The man replied. “So, pardon me if I do not give you knighthood for saving me.”

“Millard? I doubt you are related to them. They are rich but they lacked the wealth to sustain you. Your expenditures are high and even higher for a Lord’s relative. I did some research into your name but I found no connection to the Millard directly but there was one. Your mother was the distant relative of the Millard. She was here about twenty-nine years ago. She was estranged when the Millard found her in illicit affair with the cousin. It could had been sanctioned but they shared a common grandfather. So, the lady was exiled but she escaped and joined the travelling circus. She gave birth to a boy whom she left a letter for the real father.”

“You returned here some years back and avoided meeting your father, Lord Millard until much later. He was confused on how to take care of you but soon fell to your hypnotism. Lord Millard was the true leader as his father and grandfather who founded the Council then. With your skill, you controlled your father but for reasons not known then, you remained in the background. Actually not. You were busy. You were busy with your works with the Lord then that you served. You followed the Lord on his adventures if I may term it then. You learned of the wild parties and saw how it could work for you. You also saw the real Ripper.”

“Yes, the Ripper who was you then. You wanted to create fear and mapped out the murders; all five to watch the reaction. It worked and then you stopped. You felt yourself ready with your knowledge of power and self-learned killing skills, you chose to meet your father and took over his role. In turn, you became his master. You saw how the powerful could work with their powers and the control you had over them. You heard of me and then you enrolled me in. You controlled the Elites and myself, well the commoners. You wanted both. Your recitation of the history of the monarchy and the Parliament and also the Commoners told me that you needed control on all levels. You took out my best lieutenants to tell me I am to serve or may end up dead. The way you used Colonel Sebastian was exceptional.”

“When you heard of the new Ripper, you were upset and asked me in the Council to remove that threat. That baffled me until I realised that only the real Ripper will be anxious to do that, even though the new Ripper was not killing after some murders. You cannot have any threats towards your existence.”

“A very interesting analogy of the facts or shall I say mathematically derived factors but you are not a true detective. You have assumptions and conjectures that you created. Assuming that is who and what I am, then why take me in and save me.”

“Well, as I mentioned earlier you are my Leader. I have to save my leader.” Doctor Moriarty explained. “It’s a mathematical approach that the leader is the final result in any group formation. I was saving you in that group. The Council in your absence and the death of Lord Millard, have dissolved. Lord Henry had died with shame on the news that he was involved in wild parties. He was a proud man and his health failed before him. General Smith have accepted full retirement in banishment soon after the Queen found out that he was involved in the Council. Naturally the Lords and Queen have denied knowledge of the Council upon its exposure. As for Colonel Sebastian, I have placed him away from you lest you influence him to kill me.”

“And as for myself, I am now the leader of the new Council, which will take on the role here in London. I am its first Chairman.”

“Fine words, Doctor. I am impressed. As I have mentioned, your equation is flawed with your assumptions and conjectures. I am one problem you cannot solve with mathematics approach. You once said that there are planners and killers. You may be the former but not the later. I am both.”

"True to your words. I am also not a great detective not am I a killer. I am however a good planner and resolving mathematics issues are my passion. As in mathematics, some problems cannot be resolved with absolute certainty. I have accepted that and apply the definition of deviations.” Doctor Moriarty dropped the pencil. “For that I apply other techniques.”

The Doctor bend over to retrieve the pencil. At that moment, the bullet whizzed past the Doctor and impacted on Mister Loggins heart. It was a good long-distance shot taken by a marksman named Colonel Sebastian. The Colonel then seated had leaned forward to hold the rifle firmly when he saw the Doctor dropped the pencil. He had gauged the wind direction and adjusted for the rifle recoil given the distance the bullet was to travel over two hundred yards. Soon after he pulled the trigger, he placed the rifle aside and got off the seater. He checked his watch and realised that he was going to be late for his next game.

“I am disappointed at you, Colonel. You are late by five minutes.” The figure who spoke to him intercepted the Colonel who had then arrived

“The Spanish wants to duel with flintlocks.” The aide chased up with the Colonel who continued to approach the Spanish trio, including the Spanish marksman.

“They said it’s for honour and national pride.” The Colonel heard the aide and when he was five feet from the Spanish trio, he reached behind for the gun he tucked there. He drew out the Webley.

Blam! The Colonel shot the marksman in the forehead.

Blam! Blam! The Colonel killed the other two aides of the Spanish.

The Colonel turned around and walked back to the carriage.

“Colonel Sebastian, that is an outrage. We were to have a duel like gentlemen.”

“One, I am not a true gentleman. I am a Colonel of the British Army.”
“Two, I don’t duel with Spaniards. I am British.”

“Three, if they want me, tell them to rip my heart out at the Club.
The Colonel mounted the carriage and then left the scene.

So was Mycroft who was in London to complete the last part of his task. He stopped at the house, 221B Baker Street. It was getting mundane to be there for him. One time too many for him then but he changed his mind when he saw her.

“Hello Mycroft. Your brother is back upstairs.” Mrs Hudson stood there holding the tray with the two cups and the teapot.

 “Are you here for the report? I done it this at dawn. She won’t be organizing anymore parties.

Mycroft nodded and then turned to leave. He was a gentleman and being one means he won’t kill ladies. It can’t be said for the ladies.

So, he told her, ladies first.

Mycroft was not one to rip her heart out.

“Was that Mycroft? Ask him to come up. I got a gift for him from Bohemia. It’s a Frankenstein toy.”

Epilogue

The scream of the lady giving birth was loud but once the child was delivered, the lady quiet down.

“Ms. Bromsfield, the baby is fine.” The mid wife told the lady. “It’s a boy. He’s a big one.”

“Like the father.” Lady Bromsfield smiled. She won’t be going back to the ladies for comfort. She found her best times was with a bigger man.

It was ripping worth dying for.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...