Sunday, October 14, 2018

Team of Seven Heroes Shorts Tales 3; Chapter 15


15.

The silence at the library may be unnerving for many but for the Doctor, it was his busy mind working on the solution while the Colonel busy cleaning the cane which act as his concealed gun. The tea pot left by Wong the Butler was not served into the cups. The scones untouched looked delicious but the mood to eat was not there.

“How did you do it?” The Colonel broke the silence. “We were…”

“Entranced by the man. Yes, I could see that but not me. I was working on a complicated mathematical problem. I have to admit there were moments I was almost induced but then I had my mind shifted back. Mathematical problem occupies my mind. It’s a jealous emotion in my mind.”

“What did happen there?”

“I believed hypnotism was the inducement. I had seen it in practise by doctors of science and by out of whacks conjurers. Once I was in Austria, I met some gypsies who did it to me on my curiosity. It was embarrassing and since then I have learned to ignore it. It’s all in the mind and the gateways are the eyes and ears. I do believe our esteemed leader have an inherent skill to do it fast and willingly spirit your will away.”

“Uh…” Colonel Sebastian was baffled. “I seen the ones in India who could go into a trance but…”

“A state of the mind, Colonel. Just like when he induced in you to do the killing. How many was there?”

“Four including Inspector Weston, the Engineer Jones and….”

“All for a reason. They were my informants. The man was displaying to me that he could get at me. Which he almost did at the gathering but I evaded the dead penalty but agreeing to him.”

“Tell me what do you think of him? He is…”

“The Kings lineage as told him. King John, and its link was so far behind and possibility remote by now given that he held no title. He is a young man but of some wealth which baffled me. Who is his benefactor?”

“Lord Millard.” Colonel Sebastian voiced out.

“No, it can’t be. He controls Lord Millard and more to it, Lord Millard have…. half the estate. I learned of it yesterday talking to an old associate. He mentioned Lord Millard have a sister who was a researcher into the human anatomy. She went abroad but before then she worked with some great doctors. She is back in London, but living a recluse.

“Her name once more, Doctor?”

“Millard, Illinois Millard.” Doctor Moriarty was then writing down the data for his mind; doctor of medicine, anatomy and then recluse.

“Let me check on her for you.” Colonel Sebastian told Doctor Moriarty. There are times certain things unchecked may remain hidden forever. Once revealed it may yield some unusual findings. It was what stirred up Mycroft’s mind.

“You are up early, my dear?” Mycroft heard the lady asked him from the bed. He was usually an early morning riser with his tasks requiring vigilance and at times, the early start. He had not dressed up and was wearing the ex-husband’s dressing gown. He stepped to the brazier and stroked the coals there. He felt the arms went around him his waist which then tugged at the cord. He held the hands there and then voiced out.

“I got an early start, love.” Mycroft stepped away and walked towards the wash basin. He freshened himself there and then turned to see Mrs. Hudson had dressed up. She was a neat and fast dresser. She sat down at the dresser to straighten her hair.

“You were married?”

“And that was why I am called Mrs Hudson.” The lady replied and then turned over to look at the man with the puppy expression. “Why do you ask? Was it the guilt or I am too old and parts of me sagged?”

“No…. Please don’t say that. It was just that I met someone yesterday and the issue of being married came up. I was not married …. I meant not yet and may one day…. I meant…”

“And you shall but whom it may be does not matter now. Tell me your puppy loving concern.” Mrs Hudson looked at him.

“It’s to do with the Ripper. What drives a man… or woman to kill with such ….”

“Crude manners? Unlike you who will just kill the other with a shot or a stab in the heart. You are a killer but the Ripper is …. A murderer of sort with…. Perhaps anger or displeasure. The Ripper does not kill, the Ripper rips the body organs off. And then placed it at the side like a trophy display. The new Ripper takes the organs away. So, we have two Rippers.” Mrs Hudson explained the subject matter.

“How do you know so much?” Mycroft was puzzled.

“Well for one the Butcher’s wife told me. She heard from the florist who heard from the Surgeon’s sister in law. You will be surprised that on the street, there are a myriad network of people who knows what others may not tell you.” Mrs Hudson replied. “Like you were at the brothel which the front looked like a gentleman club.”

“How did….”

“The matchbox I picked from the floor. Fell off you coat. The doorman puts it there so that you could remember the place if you want to come back. Your question on my marriage…. It could be an admission of guilt but I am not a naïve girl clamouring onto you just because you taken my virginity. Which you did not, and our sessions are purely sex with the convenience of your brother away from upstairs.” Mrs Hudson looked at Mycroft. “Do I need to go on?”

Mycroft was lost for words then.

“Then check out one victim by the name of Helen Innes. She was the servant at the missing heiress once before she was removed for dubious reasons. And check out the parties that Lord Millard holds at different location.” Mrs Hudson looked at Mycroft standing with the mouth gaping open. “No, I did not learn that from Sherlock nor did I seduce the milkman who knew almost anything on the street. I got that info from…… never mind from who…. Just look at those leads.”

“And take a peed. Your bladder showing the signs. And it ain’t sex.”

Sex was not on most people’ mind who read the morning newspaper. The headlines damper them urges.

‘Ripper struck again.’

‘It’s the season again. Rip it!’

The difference was the last night victim have the organs displayed like the derby trophies. The reactions varied from person to person.

“Who told the papers of the Ripper murder?” The Chief Commissioner was upset.

“We have a different killer.” The Surgeon remarked in the report. “Or the original Ripper is back.”

“The Elites are the killers.” All it took was a shout of accusation and the call rippled to mob’s mentality. All expect one.

“Illinois, I swear I have nothing to do with it. With the lady there, I have not killed anyone.” Victor told the doctor. “I have been out but that was to …. Walk. I did not kill anyone.”

“So, are you telling me Igor did it?” Doctor Illinois rebuked back. “Could my son be doing it? He had seen you done it.”
“I don’t …. know. Maybe but I do not follow him. But why do you accuse your son of it?”

“Because he is my son. He does not see any results from the lady there. He may be harvesting the organs. He may be doing it to …” Doctor Illinois replied in anger and then broke down in cries.

“I see no organs. If he did, he would….” Victor consoled her.

“Then the real Ripper is back. Oh, God. We brought back the Ripper.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...