Sunday, May 14, 2017

Arthur: The Legend and Myth Chapter 126

126.
Mordred pushed over the seat that was Arthur over at the round table. He was upset that the King of Camelot had once again survived the battle. He looked at the scout that was on the flooring killed by him then.
“Tossed the body over the walls into the sea. Then prepare to leave Camelot.” Mordred told his knights. “We will regroup at Camlann as planned.”
The knights dragged the body out and they were met by the arrival of the Queen. Guinevere stepped in and then she glared at the knights still there.
“Leave us.” Guinevere told them but not all that was there were leaving then until Mordred voiced out.
“Heed your Queen.” Mordred told them. She is mine and so is yours.”
The Gaul knights there took to leave then leaving only Guinevere and Mordred.
“You may have heard but rest assured that we are leaving. The war is not over although the next battle will be sooner than we expected.” Mordred told her. “We will ambush Arthur on his return.”
“And am I to be Queen for another hundred days? Whose? Yours or still his?” Guinevere asked Mordred. The later did not reply her and left the hall. Guinevere saw the fallen seat and raised it up.
“Arthur will like it that way.” Guinevere tuned to the voice. It was Elaine.
“How…When did you come?”
“I heard the same as you did. Arthur won and ….Lancelot may be alive. I came to see if you knew. Is that the round table? I had never seen it.” Elaine approached the table. She reached down to touch the table surface. “It’s coarse…”
“What did you expect? A bunch of men would care for a table as if they did for our body. There used to be clear runes designs on it but the years of roughing over it had shadowed the designs. I will admit that once Arthur took me on this very table.” Guinevere laughed out. “I am ever the bitchy one then and now here.”
“Not you alone.” It was another voice but familiar one. “Though I have not been taken here but I was forbidden to be here.”  
Morgan then also marvelled at the round table. She had walked past it but never had she touched the surface. She hesitated then which made Elaine laughed.
“It won’t bite. I had felt it.” Elaine told Morgan. “It may on witches though.”
“No! Please sit the seats there.” Guinevere pulled Arthur’s seat and then sat on it. Elaine took the next seat and followed by Morgan.
“The round table is not just another table. It held no magic or spells over the ones seated. There is nothing above it.” Guinevere motioned to the top. “It however was laid over a fable tree trunk. Behold the Oak trunk which is considered the King of all plants It also symbolized the divine power. It’s also the wood used to construct the doorway to other dimensions. The druids used the name word ‘duir’ to call it.”
“How did you know?” Morgan asked Guinevere. “Merlin did not tell me this but I learned from the volumes.”
“Merlin once told Arthur who told me when we were still in love. In love, all barriers will go down.” Guinevere explained. “The round table surface is ordinary but it held a gateway to a different dimension. It will open a doorway to a better dimension. Morgan knew of this too.”
“Yes, I knew but I don’t know how to open it.” Morgan replied. “I have tried but nothing in the volumes told me.”
“I don’t understand. Why and ….what has this to do with us?” Elaine asked. “What did both you bitches knew that I …am to know too.”
“The doorway opens to the dimension where the Fallen escaped to hide from the Angels. Merlin saw it when he first battled the dragons when he met Pendragon. The two dragons were guarding it then but the druid contained them into the oak tree trunk. He brought it here and restored it with the rune spells filled table top. It worked but he made the mistake when he proclaimed Arthur as King.  His King was part dragon by his mother’s blood and marked by mine who is also of the dragon.”
“You were not of my mother’s?” Morgan stated it for Guinevere. “You were just taken care of by my mother.”
“True but have you ever asked why?” Guinevere smiled. “No, I was not your mother’s blood, well not directly. I was your grandparent’s but my mother was send off like me. Our line of blood was tainted or too strong for them. Anyway, Merlin did not foresee that with his power fading over the years.”
“Guinevere who are you…the real you?” Morgan asked.
“The real me is not the slut that looked at every man like a mare seen by a stud. I learned that to avoid anyone knowing me. During my banishments, and in my own time, I was coached by your mother in the ancient spells to protect the doorway. It was to be the guardian of the doorway. I have to be here as the Queen so I can be always by it. I wished I was not to do it for I will be away with Lancelot now.”
“Bitch!” Elaine called out.
“We knew that a long time ago. We are the bitches to keep the clan alive. I loved Lancelot soon after but he is not mine. He is yours while I am to be Queen. If Lancelot is King, I may stay as one. Just like Meleagant whose King stately disappeared when Arthur returned here. I had to let him go.”
“Bitch! Lancelot is mine. You leave him alone.” Elaine was upset then.
“I am. I have told him that I won’t go with him when he tried to rescue him. I told him I will stay as Queen. It hurts.”
“Even for Mordfed?” Morgan asked then.
“Yes.” Guinevere replied. “Only here in Camelot where I can oversee the doorway. Not in Gaul.”
“Was it worth the task?” Morgan asked.
“For love, Morgan…... For my true love.” Guinevere replied while her fingers trailed the rune designs on the table surface. Unknown to the ladies, there was a dark figure in the shadow.
Across the land, Arthur lay on the bedding with his wounds attended was unable to sleep. He was tired and having dismissed all from his tent, he thought he could be alone. His mind floated to many events in his life and then it hinged on Guinevere. No matter what was said and accused of her, he felt that he could not let her down.  He had wanted that few times.
“Arthur, are you awake?” It was Lancelot. Arthur sat up and looked at the other.
“I am now. So what happened? Someone else died.”
“Mordred has taken over Camelot.” Lancelot told him. “He has declared himself King.”
“I did leave him in charge and the rumours may had passed him on taking over.” Arthur leaned back on the bedding. “I …”
“No, it’s true. Mordred took over Camelot and had all the knights loyal to you dismissed.” Lancelot gulped down his words before he continued. “He has imprisoned Guinevere and made her Queen.”
“Queen? She would like that. She always wanted to be Queen.” Arthur replied before he turned over. “Bitch.”
“Arthur, I don’t ….consent to her action but its Camelot we are referring to.”
“Yes, I will take back my Camelot …but I can’t do it tonight. Let me think.” Arthur then raised his right hand to signal the conversation was over but Lancelot was still there. Arthur turned over and then gave his command.
“We will march back to Camelot but before we do that, we will need reinforcement.” Arthur told Lancelot. “You need to drop your concern on Guinevere. She is mine to concern with. She is my Queen and not yours.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...