Friday, January 11, 2013

The Lady in Red Part 3

1. Things gets more intense

They left me a message; a painful one, they blew up my car parked downstairs that morning. I just completed my payments for it, and the insurance won't pay for arson fires; hidden clauses due to my profession.

That was not all.

"Mr Blake, we need you back downtown." At noon, there was two detectives standing there waiting for me. They are legit from the Department but they are not from the same Precinct. I decided to followed them despite Vinny' objection. I ended up in their car; anther Chrysler model late 40's. One of them sat with me at the back holding the .38 stub barrel at my ribs while the other drive through the noon traffic, blasting the traffic with the siren while I had my eyes on the newly lit neon signs. It was a new thing in the city then, and everyone was dazzling their shop fronts. I did passed by some curious drivers in their cars giving me the looks. Girls may looked at me with their legs all squeezed up but I wondered if I was the good guy or bad guy. Probably the later as that's more excitable. Thanks to you, Bonnie and Clyde; you made us criminal looking guys looked good

My trip soon ended up in the basement of one of the property of one Micheal Huang; chinese investor with connections to overseas triads and local politicians. I wanted to asked why we came here as I doubt they selected this building at random but the detective was rude with his reply. Profanities ain't welcomed in my conversations, but I bear with them for guys like them.

"Micheal Huang is our boss. So you pissed him, he gives you the treatment like in Hell." I never told you before, but stupid detectives are like hoodlums; they bragged too much. I wondered how hell would actually treat me. I done more than my fair share of sending arseholes like them there. We stopped at the lowest level which was also the Maintenance Section. It was secluded and more to it, the loud humming of the boiler would cover for any noise of shooting. Then my dead body gets thrown in the Boiler for the express trip to Hell.

"Come on out, Mr Blake." The detective facing me had a .38 stub barrel locked on my face, I got out real slow and then reached for my gun with my left hand. "Yes, we needed that."

I handed over the gun to the detective holding it by the thumb and index finger on the hilt. He grabbed it and placed that into his jacket. He then reached for my left sleeve of my jacket and pulled me towards the nearby wall.

"You should had stopped and taken the money." The second detective standing a few feet away still wearing his over coat in this warm basement. "Now we are take care of you. We are going to send you to Hell."

I fell down on my knees and pleaded for mercy. I held out my hands to them, and the first detective kicked me in the back. I fell forward and he kicked me twice more on the thighs. I cried out in pain but I was not getting up. He reached down for me to turned me over and he was dead by the turn of my body. I kicked out with my right leg into his balls and when he keeled over, I had the same model service revolver to shoot him. It was placed into my jacket pocket by Vinny when she hugged me.

The dead detective fell on me stopping his pal's bullets with his body. I took the second detective with a head shot. I pushed the man off my body and got up. I leaned over to collect back my .45 caliber and holstered it.

"Bravo!" The voice came over yonder. The camera flashes confirmed my fear. "Mr Blake, we have you on pictures doing the murder of two detective. Mr Huang would love it."

Damned! They got me cold. I saw the five men standing there with three of them holding those sawn off shotguns.

"Finished him off." I heard that, and jumped to the car. The shots came as I took shelter there. The car door was still opened and saw the Thompson there under the driver seat. I grabbed it and cocked up the machinegun. I reached down below the car body to peek at the shooters. They are moving cautiously forward, and its time for me get them new shoes. I sprayed them with the automatic and got three of the five hoodlums. They retaliated with their shotgun and shot off the squad car windows and doors. By then, I had gotten around and stood clear from the car. I trained the machinegun like Capone in Chicago downtown before. Five bodies danced to my bullets and then laid still. I dropped the emptied Thompson and took out my .45 caliber. I checked the bodies for identification before leaving in a borrowed car from the upper basement. I broke the camera as I am publicity shy.

--------------------------------------------------------------

On my way back, I stopped at the apartment. It was empty; Connie ditched me as I also found my spare handgun missing. She was not the ideal guest in the apartment; she rummaged up personal belongings and took the gun. I don't know who she was targeting but I doubt she could shoot straight. I walked to the telephone box in the corridor and called for Vinny.

"Connie went back to your apartment after you left. She got a note from someone. She told me she had to packed up and leave. That's all I know." Vinny was puzzled but he had the noon crowd then. I thanked her and placed down the receiver. Now I am left out in the cold with a young lady on a possible murderous trail.

But I am not without any plans.

All of this started when I set out to find the red head killer and since then I been shot at twice but now I am moving the pieces on the board now. My first piece was the lawyer, Manning and Archer Levington. I had the lawyer traced at the office and it was just in time as he was leaving the office with Archer.

Archer was carrying the briefcase and waited for a passing cab. He did not had to wait long as I got the cab I was on to drive up to the pavement.

"You need a lift?" Archer was surprised to see me. Maybe he was expecting me to be dead. He stood back and turned to leave. I pushed open my car door, and moved to get out. It was then I saw Archer getting shot at the back by the assailant who also grabbed the briefcase before running towards the end of the block. Manning on seeing what happened to Archer ran the opposite direction. I gave chase on foot on the assailant while the cab driver was shouting for his fare.

The assailant was already forty feet ahead when I took the run. My weekend runs did not add much to my stamina but I have been an active military personnel for over twenty years gave me relief. He cleared the block and took down that side street with me in pursuit. The late afternoon office leavers makes the run more like an obstacle run with body shoving and curses of the ones I had to move aside. Whoever that assailant was, he was fast and agile as his distance was lengthening. I spied a courier bicycle and grabbed the unit to ride on. It was the first time, I did not cursed at them for being a hindrance after that.

He turned the corner into an alley and that favored me. I rode there and dropped the bike. It was a dead alley but there were a lot of refuge crates and discards around but no assailant. So its time to get up front and personal.

I took out my .45 caliber and walked in with the gun held tight in both my hands. I looked at every cover and door before proceeding on until I reached near to the rear. There was a door there and it was ajar. I pushed it open and dived to the side. The shot that came hit on the wooden door but I was in. He made a mistake of firing me from inside a dark area; it highlighted his position. I fired back and got the assailant on the chest. I walked over to the dead assailant and retrieved the briefcase.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...