Monday, August 15, 2011

Folk Tales 1: Hare and the Turtle

One day out in the wildness, there was a hare who will race with any creature he can meet. His ambition in life is to win the races, and he was never defeated. So one day he met a turtle trudging down the path walking ever slow that even the ants overtook him. So the hare hopped up to the turtle and said; ‘hello, do I know you from somewhere?’
‘Excuse me, for one I dinna know who you are, and number two, that is the worst pickup line I ever heard. And lastly, I am a MALE, and you ain’t ma type.’ That was one bad tude’ turtle; can’t blame him, as he just spend three weeks walking to his mate’s home, and she just left for vacation last week. So you know how irrate he is when the postman was also another ‘hare’ in the brown suit.
‘Anyway, howdy. I am called ‘Harry’ the Hare. I am the fastest hare in the wilderness.’ Now that mighty nice of Harry to introduced himself.
‘Okay, I apologies. The last creature I wanted to meet was another hare, but I am pleased to meet you, Harry. My name is Today, as everyday for me is still today. At my speed of life anyway.’
‘Ain’t that funny, my nickname is Yesterday, because by the time you realised I am gone, its already one day gone’ replied the Harry.
‘I wished so too....’ mumbled Today the Turtle.
‘You said something.... Nevermind, I wished to win this race with you. So shall we start?’ Now by the time Harry completes his statement; he had the starting line drawn, the audience lined up at the sides, and the Armadillo to start off the race.
‘I don’t jump into a race on the first meeting, but I will try carry out your wish.’ That was what Today said, but incidentally, he crossed the starting line so the race was on. Harry the hare went speeding off while Today is still trying to move his hind legs to the starting race. Eventually, Harry came to a big tree and stopped to rest. He can see the finish line just over yonder but on looking back, he can’t see Today the Turtle. So Harry decided to rest and eventually he slept. Now all this time, Today the Turtle is still at the starting line; okay he made it pass the line and is now on the track. So he turned to the audience and said; ‘you guys may want to go home. I may take a long time to finish the race.’ But one creature named the Fox came out,.
‘Today, we wished you will win, for that we make you win this race.’ So before even Today can replied to that, he found himself hoisted onto the fox’s back and he was carried off. But due to the weight of the turtle, some other creatures helped too, including some ants. ( the chicropacter office was overloaded that week ), but they finally got Today at the finish line. Meanwhile, Harry woke up and saw Today at the finish line. He ran his last strength, and as he was about to cross the finish line; he fell and broke his hind legs. Now Today the Turtle saw him fall, so he turned to faced his opponent. He slowly pushed the hare across the finish line, much to the dismay of the audience.
‘Why?’ asked the Fox from the First Aid stretcher.
‘Well, he needed the win more than myself. He even broke his legs to make it here. So I assisted him in this wish. As for you all, I assisted all of you to cheat at the race, as that was you wished to do. To me, all I wished for was to go home and I am nearer now. So we all got our wishes.
Just as mine, for you to read my tale. Thank you.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...