Monday, August 3, 2026

Heroes Return VI: Book One London Chapter 9

 

9.

 

The Limehouse district of the East End was the epicenter of the Chinese community then; it was a small, vibrant community of about five hundred people, catering to sailors with boarding houses, laundries, and grocery stores. The population there was a mix of Irish or East End women and the migrants, creating a mixed-race community. They were the earlier migrants who were brought to Britain to load and unload ships in London’s docks and other ports across the country. They were recruited by the East India Company and other British shipping companies. Chinese communities settled in two parts of Limehouse.

People from different parts, like the Shanghainese, lived in Pennyfields, Amoy Place, and Ming Street, while the southerners lived in Limehouse Causeway and Gill Street. Residents rented rooms in terraced houses of multiple occupants, squeezed among the factories and dockyards. The community replicated their own versions of home, including the tea houses, ever popular for a chat over a cup of tea brewed with authentic Chinese tea leaves.

The teahouse held its own identity whether it was in mainland China or London. It was the living area where the patrons could sit there and enjoy their tea or snacks, while conversations were of various topics, from the chaos of the land to the bargaining in the trade deals. Or over differing philosophies on life events. Simply adapted, varied vocal tones, but ever the resilient sanctuary for connection.

The chap seated at the corner, nursing the small cup containing the hot tea, was dressed like a coolie, the derogatory term for a male servant of Chinese descent, and worn on his feet were wooden sandals. He had on a wide conical straw hat that covered his upper face, but the unmistakable thick mustache gave the impression he was not of local descent.

Another figure sat down across from the chap, similarly dressed without the hat, but had on the pigtail for his hair design.

“The dragon resides in the cloud, while the tigers roam the hills.” The new chap spoke out while he took a fresh cup to pour his tea. He spoke with a Chinese dialect accent to blend in.

“If the Heavenly Father permits, where can I locate the cloud that housed the dragon?" The chap with the conical hat spoke with the similar drawl of the accent.

“The dragon remained hidden with the deities there; however, the tigers are devouring anyone looking for the dragon.”

"Perhaps chests of gold may unlock the dragon.” The conical-hat chap whispered. “Location is all I need to know.”

“There is an old saying: the greed of one may be the downfall of mortality.” The other chap said. “My life is precarious now. I must go.”

The chap moved to step up when the huge ‘hook sword' (hooked blade), the weapon that has a hook on the tip and a dagger-like hilt, landed on the table with the blade cutting into the top.

“Small brother Chin, you are not at my seat.” The figure who wielded the sword was short but stoutly built and had on the pigtail that was wound around his neck. He was dressed like any other there, but his snarl on his expression revealed his indulgence was not sipping tea. His accent was authentic Mandarin in tone.

“Brother Cheng, we were leaving.” The one named Chin turned to look at the conical-hat chap. “Shall we?”

“Take one more step, and you will bleed here.” The one named Cheng cautioned them. “I am…"

“Ingratitude to your father.” The one with the conical hat tossed the cup of tea at Cheng. He then stood up and found himself facing three more brutes with similar swords in their hands. The patrons at the neighbouring tables took to their heels on seeing the swords brought to the table.

“I will have your head.” Cheng rubbed the sleep from his eyes and found the punch fist swinging towards him at the jaw. He fell backward from the blow, while the one named Seong, who was the other one there, grabbed the stool he was seated on and wielded it as a weapon.

“Stand back!” Chin held the stool against the other three standing there.

“Perhaps this will work better.” The one with the conical hat leveled the Enfield pistol at them. “I got a six-round cylinder, enough for three of you here.”

“Leave now, Charlie.” The one with the conical hat pushed Chin to leave the teahouse.

It was to the end of Commercial Road before the duo stopped their running. Charlie Song found his pace to do the run despite his middle-age limitations. He leaned on the wall by the corner of the shop offering daily catch seafood.

“Nayland Smith, what on earth provoked you to meet there? We could have done it at Piccadilly or at Shaftesbury.” Charlie heaved in deep breaths. “Simplicity is difficult to achieve?”

“Nay, Charlie. I wanted to be in the depth of the place. Fu Manchu is a devious man. “I never believed him to be dead. He's cruel, callous, brilliant, and the most evil and dangerous man in the world."

“Famous words of yours there, Nayland Smith, and yet you are screwing his daughter.” Charlie smiled. “He is technically your father-in-law.”

“Fa Loh Suee is…. We eloped, and technically, we are not screwing each other. We make love, and for info, she is in America to see some friends. You can call it a sabbatical leave period.” Nayland explained.

“Call it what you may want, Nayland Smith. We were fucked just now.” Charlie leaned out to see if they were pursued by any. 

“I thought you were comfortable there.” Nayland Smith smiled. “I was. I do miss the mainland.”

Nayland Smith was an operative of the Foreign Ministry assigned to the Far East for some years. His role there was to do clandestine tasks on the criminals there, where he met the daughter of the Mandarin crime lord, Fu Manchu. He had a few run-ins with the man and barely escaped with his life. He did, however, win the heart of the daughter and, at his request, gave her sanctuary in London, but his works were still in the Far East.

“After dinner, who cares about the spoon?" Charlie mocked the other on having gotten the daughter; why bother with the father?

“In your society, or rather in my mind, the extended family still matters.” Nayland smiled. “Even though my father-in-law would like to serve me to his tigers.”

“Okay, here is what I may know," Charlie sighed. “I have many sons, and hopefully they will not tear me apart. Back to the man we sought, he is missing or lying low. There is a new threat on the horizon. Have you heard of the Oni Society?”

“Oni Society? Scant notes on them. They were from Japan. I was not posted there. Ian Masterson was the one in the lead.”

“Ian Masterson is missing.” Charlie leaned out to look again. “He went missing alongside the steamer that was ferrying him home.”

“I heard that he is dead, but does that mean I am to replace him? I cannot do that. I am now back in Blighty and will remain here.” Nayland protested.

“That is where you need to know now. Mycroft Holmes is asking you to report back. Me? I am just another coolie at the docks.”

"How did he get my name?” Nayland asked. “You could be the better candidate.”

“I got sons to take care of, and you…. You only got one faraway lady to fantasize on. And no sons yet.”

“Fuck you.” Nayland snapped out.

“Pay me my shilling first. You owed me one.” Charlie Song laughed.

“Soon I will.” Nayland Smith smiled. “When you leave this place.”

No comments:

Heroes Return VI: Book One London Chapter 9

  9.   The Limehouse district of the East End was the epicenter of the Chinese community then; it was a small, vibrant community of abou...