Monday, August 17, 2026

Heroes Return VI: Book One London Chapter 12

 

12.

 

“I must conclusively say Mrs. Hudson’s scones are better. They are light, fluffy, barely sweet pastries perfect for breakfast or tea, best served warm with clotted cream and jam.” Sherlock picked up his piece and applied the spoonful of strawberry jam on it.

‘Conclusive? Did you arrive at that deduction after tasting others' baking? Or based on…" Watson sat across from the man; both dressed in their dressing gowns. They woke up to the smell of the freshly baked scones and hot tea.

“No references, Watson. However, I will conclude that as my deduction too. Mycroft will concur with that too.” Sherlock smiled, which was rare, more so in the morning.

“Have you taken scones made by the ladies at the frontier? They are equally delicious.” Watson defended his stay at the frontier, and anything English was savored there. “Mrs. Gareth, the Major’s wife made scones every Sunday for us.”

“I guess if you are away from home, anything that resembles home cooking will be nice.” Sherlock looked to the morning papers. “Ah, nothing on our minister. His death must be kept from the tabloids.”

Watson knew when the other was moving the subject matter and reached for the sports section.

“The Wimbledon Championships is finding its roots in London. That is news to read here.” Watson read from the tabloids. It was then Mycroft appeared at the chamber.

“Good morning, chaps.” Mycroft walked. He saw the breakfast spread on the table. “Scones! I am sure I have room for that.”

“I am sure, Mycroft.” Watson sneered at the man. Without hesitation, Mycroft grabbed a scone and dabbed the jam on it. He ate it gleefully.

“Thankfully for the skills of this lady. I could eat this daily.” Mycroft looked for a spare cup to drink from, but there was none. He saw none and was to take Sherlock’s but was denied.

“I tell you, Shelly. You are still the same when we had to share our toys.” Mycroft licked his fingers and then sat down by the table. “I am here with updates.”

“And I am to use the privy. Morning rituals.” Watson got up and walked away. He was not keen to listen in, for he was not to be involved.

“What is with the old boy? Did he get up from the wrong side of the bed today?” Mycroft looked at Sherlock.

“Tell me.” Sherlock took a sip of the tea he was served. Triviality was not his expertise for any conversation.

“Okay, Ms. Kewala is safe. She is at the Greystokes estate. I have got my men there, or rather near there. The Greystokes are particular in their own safety.” Mycroft told Sherlock. “They had the estate marked as their land.”

“After our adventure, Lady Greystokes does not take kindly to any presence, including mine.” Sherlock looked back at the papers.

“It was not your fault; she lost the child.”

“An obvious observation, but the emotions of a lady can be unobvious to the facts," Sherlock said. “Where is Doctor Mitsui Ogata?”

“Doctor Mitsui Ogata is at the Brown’s Hotel, and I met Nayland Smith. You do remember him?”

“Barely. We may have met, but he was more towards the Far East, and what was his name……. Fu Manchu… eloped with the daughter, and since then, has been working at East End.”

“By golly, you knew of this? What do you have in your mind? The daily workings of everyone in London?”

“No, Mycroft. Only certain people which I am told of their whereabouts……. Local gossip that you get, like at the marketplace." Sherlock has an extensive network of informers in London.

“Spank me here! Do you know how many times I've been to the privy?” Mycroft looked at the brother of his.

“Once this morning. That is your first stop every morning.” Sherlock looked at the papers. “Why was the minister's death not reported?”

“I…… Never mind. The tabloids were shuttered for reasons of national security. He will be on the page at noon today and is diagnosed with heart failure while at the office. It will avoid any speculations on the family and ……. us.”

“And mine? Fallen into the abyss, or perhaps the waterfall, and the body not found?” Sherlock looked at Mycroft.

"Ingenious, there. That will deter any grave digger from uprooting your bones, or your brains ……" Mycroft smiled. “But fallen into the waterfall may be too dramatic. Your skull may…"

“Okay, back to the matter. You got Nayland in, and he was to ……

“Work with me? I doubt so.” Sherlock shook his head. “You wanted him to work with Doctor Mitsui Ogata.”

“How did you guess?” Mycroft smiled.

“Elementary, my dear brother. Nayland is an operative, and I am a detective. We are like potassium cyanide or KCN. We are deadly when combined into one compound. Will be fatal to anyone with us.”

“Okay, fine with your chemistry analysis.” Mycroft leaned back. “So, are you and Watson back?”

“I do not…" Sherlock saw Watson emerging then, all dressed up in his street suit.

“I am involved, Mycroft.” Watson took his rightful seat. “I must be. I was nearly killed by an assailant; so was he, and above all, I am told my patients have moved to another doctor in the area. I am pissed here.”

“Wow! That is good news. No more patients will die under your care.” Mycroft blurted out. “My bad. I have more news. I read some filed-away reports by geologists and professors and officials, and they have all been in contact with Minister Leeson on one matter: mining. The minister was in his private capacity a miner and later explored mining in ……. Africa. He joined the government on the basis of his friendship with the PM. He started off as the mining attaché and worked his way to the exchequer.”

“Mining?” Sherlock was thinking then “Were we into mining at Africa?”

“And I checked on Doctor Mitsui Ogata…." Mycroft was cut off.

“He held a doctorate in geology from the University of Tokyo," Sherlock snapped in. “I had his background checked. He also has a doctorate in international banking. But no mining.”

“We need to visit the Greystokes.” Mycroft smiled. “Carriages ready.”

“I doubt our visit will be entertained. The last adventure, Jane Greystoke lost her baby.” Watson reminded the brothers then.

“Just a medical question here, Doctor. I noticed the ladies tend to wear a tight corset.” Mycroft had the quiz expression. “Is it not… dangerous to their health?"

“No more deadly than a barrel leveled at your head.” Sherlock cut in. “Medically diagnosed.”

Well, "tight lacing" of corsets is medically discussed as a primary cause of restricted breathing, decreased lung capacity, and severe internal health issues. However, corsets are an essential part of Victorian fashion; the intense pressure placed on the torso by stiff, steel-boned garments often restricted breathing to the top of the lungs and could lead to chlorosis, or green sickness. " Doctor John Watson explained.

“And it does wonders for the bosom, Cheri. At my age, it does take on the direction of gravity.” Mrs. Hudson appeared. “Hello, Mycroft. I heard you arrived, and there's an extra cup for your tea here.”

“Well, thank you. Mrs. Hudson” Mycroft looked over to Watson for some distraction, but none was seen. The lady left the trio, and the discussion went back to the issue on hand.

“Conclusively, we need to visit the Greystokes.” Sherlock stood up. “The game is afoot.”

“I would like to state that I am under protest to my participation in this.” Watson drew attention to himself. He was ignored by the brothers.

At the Greystokes estate, Jane was discussing with her lover how to get Mindy to retrieve the documents. They were seated in the library. The ladies were seated on the seats facing the fireplace, while Lord Greystoke was at the long, tall glass doorway facing the garden.

“John, we need to collect the documents from Mindy’s place.” Mrs. Greystokes looked at her lover. “It may be the key to these murders.”

“Yes, I am aware. However, this will be done without you.” Lord Greystokes looked at her. “The doctor had…"

“Look, John. I am fine. I can…" Lady Greystokes shifted her seating position. “I am……”

“Baby moved.” Mindy smiled. “I have not one yet, but the palace has many ladies to whom I play nursemaid.”

“Yes, it did.” Lady Greystokes turned to look at her lover. “Okay, I will stay, but can you assist her?”

“I am. Mindy will be taken there by the Waziri warriors. She will be dressed like a Waziri’s lady, and they will take care of her.” Lord Greystokes replied. “The Waziri used a backroad to get their supplies. They have deployed hunters there to check for any ……. Traps. She will be safe.”

“Who is in charge?” Lady Greystokes asked.

“Ngamba will take the lead. He will be with two others and one other lady to follow. That lady is Megmu, who is proficient in the art of daggers.” Lord Greystokes said. “I will be here with you, and alongside us are ten Waziri’s warriors led by Thirun. We will go about our normal routines. Kimbel will be at the house.”

“Are we being watched?” Lady Greystokes asked.

“Yes, by Scotland Yard, the military, and by others. Mindy Kewala, you are a very important guest here.”

 

No comments:

Heroes Return VI: Book One London Chapter 13

  13.   “The professor remains hubristic to his role.” Sherlock, seated in the carriage, fingered his deerstalker hat while his pipe was...