Monday, August 3, 2026

Heroes Return VI: Book One London Chapter 8

 

8.

 

It was morning when Watson took the familiar steps up the flight of stairs and then opened the door to the one place he had dreaded returning. He saw Holmes at the fireplace examining what appeared to be an arrow. The latter heard his arrival but did not acknowledge the other.

Watson hung up his coat and was about to remove his shoes when Sherlock voiced his opinion.

“Arrow sizes vary greatly across cultures, ranging from eighteen inches to six feet. The arrow shafts are made from strong, lightweight wood, bamboo, or reeds. The arrowhead or projectile point is the primary functional part of the arrow and plays the largest role in determining its purpose. Some arrows may simply use a sharpened tip of the solid shaft, but it is far more common for separate arrowheads to be made, usually from metal, horn, or some other hard material. Fletchings are found at the back of the arrow and act as airfoils to provide a small amount of force used to stabilize the flight of the arrow. They are designed to keep the arrow pointed in the direction of travel by strongly damping down any tendency to pitch or yaw.”

“The English longbow, namely the Battle of Agincourt, made it well known. It was an English victory in the Hundred Years' War. It took place on 25 October 1415 near Agincourt in northern France.”

“The designs are known as the self-bow, made from a single piece of wood. Traditional English longbows are self-bows made from yew wood. The bowstave is cut from the radius of the tree so that sapwood (on the outside of the tree) becomes the back and forms about one third of the total thickness; the remaining two thirds or so are heartwood. Yew sapwood is good only in tension, while the heartwood is good in compression. The ……”

“You are still not talking to me, Watson? It's elementary, my dear ……” Sherlock was snapped at by the doctor.

“Holmes, I was… attacked on the train going back. My surgeries today must be rescheduled. People may die due to that.” Watson glared at the other. “What did you get me into?”

“It is……. Not my calling.” Sherlock saw the murderous look on Watson’s expression. “I do not know. I meant, why did you attack except that they have associated you with me?"

“Being associated with you marked me for death? I was in the uniform of the Frontier Army, which had me then marked for death by the tribes, or worse, tortured before death. And I was in the service for the Queen and country.” Doctor John Watson sighed. “But with you, I thought we had……. Oh, God. Not all our villains are dead or imprisoned.”

“Do tell me, Watson. How were you attacked?” Sherlock lowered the arrow.

“By a lady, or more specifically, an oriental lady with the skills of a trained killing machine." Watson sat down at his usual seat. “Not my preference.”

“Lady assailant… oriental… Hmmm… I am intrigued.” Sherlock looked to the arrow.

“Holmes, I have retired from murders and killings. I am trying to save lives.” Watson was still infuriated.

“Most absolutely, if I may coin that term. Or most unfortunately, but … I meant to say I was not to know that the case was … involving. All I did was…"

“Spare me that thought.” Watson paused there. “I happened to be in London to get supplies.”

“I shall not…. Intrude but..." Sherlock looked to the doctor. “I do need your… guidance here, Watson. I am……"

“Are you onto your morphine again?” Watson sprang out in anger. “If you are, I am walking out.”

“I am… clean, Watson. Sober clean. I do have my urges... withdrawals, but I focus on the issues that matter. It is working." Sherlock sounded sad then. “It is not the same without you here, though. I gotten……"…"

“End the melodramatics, Holmes.” Watson looked at the other. “You are … an ill patient to me until you are really cured.”

“And you are a doctor.” Sherlock looked at the doorway when Mrs. Hudson arrived with the tray of tea and sandwiches.

“A happy beginning then.” Mrs. Hudson stepped from the doorway. “Tea, anyone? I got sandwiches too.”

“I will be resting… alone in my chamber.” Watson got up.

“Touchy, isn't he?” Mrs. Hudson watched the doctor walk to his chamber. “You are not the best patient to have to care for."

“Bad evening. I will have the sandwiches, please.”

It was not so for the Greystokes, seated across from each other on the long table with the candlesticks and bouquet of morning-picked blooms, and with their guest seated next to Jane’s left side, and the cups of tea turning cold, the air there was colder.

“More tea, my lady. " The maid stepped up with the pot of tea. Jane shook her head, and the maid proceeded towards his lordship. John had gestured his refusal and then looked at the guest.

“Please do…" His Lordship's eyes did not leave the look on the ladyship.

“Let me explain, Lord Greystokes.” Mindy looked at the other across the table.

“John will do.” The man cut in.

“A few weeks ago, Brian told me of the new development in the Far East with the threat of the group called the Oni Society. His section in the Office of the Defense was monitoring the activities of the others in the colonies, which include China and the Southeast, in which Japan had shown great interest. He got reports of the acts of the clan, that their followers were doing their work there, and how some leaders were … controlled by them. He had then reported to the PM Office and to Scotland Yard, but he was asked to focus on other matters.”

“Do you know who Brian was working with?” John asked.

“Yes, Ian Masterson," Mindy replied. “It was Ian who told Brian to lay off.”

“I thought you said…" John cut in.

“Ian Masterson… I am aware of him. He was given the task by the PM, and he told Brian to shift attention. And not be a ninnyhammer…".

“Ninny…" John was baffled and looked to Jane. He looked away in case Jane told him to read about his English historical culture.

“It’s English slang for being a ninny or simpleton.” Mindy eased the concern before she fixed the focus back.

“Ian Masterson wants him to back off. He was asked to focus on the development of the Germans and the Tsar. The former for their offices on the continent were not reporting on schedule. And the Tsar, there were issues of revolts.”

“The Russian Empire did not participate in the formal what they termed it, the ‘Scramble for Africa.' " They were more on Asian expansion, limited naval power, and geographical constraints; Russia was a distance away. Mindy looked at Jane. “It did not stop the Belgians from creating another colony in the Congo State.”

“They desired to create a free state there. Do not get too sentimental over it. I did read the news, Mindy.” Jane retorted back.

“Yes, it was not to throw Brian off. He searched in deep and found a link to my father. He then decided to collate it all with me, but we did not discuss it much here. He had to go home to his family. Poor man.”

“Poor man indeed.” Lord Greystokes snapped out. “Pardon me, ladies. I meant no offense there.”

“This week, we had planned a retreat to the countryside, and then came the mail for him. He was to return to London to attend a meeting.” Mindy looked at Lord Greystokes. “Coitus interruptus then.”

“Mindy, I got a telegram this morning. Brian was killed last night," Lord Greystokes said. He was used to death, and his manners of expressing it were minimal at best.

“John!” Lady Greystokes exclaimed. “You are an infernal beast when it comes to talking about the dead.”

But Mindy had then left the table and retreated to her chamber.

“John, you are an imbecile with your manners.” Lady Greystokes stressed again and took leave of the table then.

“All I did was speak the truth.” Lord Greystoke held the blank expression. “You never complained when I was beastly.”

Mycroft had the better expression.

“Ito, it truly dismayed me that my minister was killed by our association.” The British extraordinary gentleman made his view across the distance. He was dressed in the dark overcoat with the top hat and was standing a short distance from the banks of the River Thames, looking at the London Tower. He looked at the barges sailing down with the pickup of the wares from the seaport to the inner parts of London.

“And mine too, but both of us know that the clan is powerful and its reach is wide.” Ito stood by him with two feet apart, facing the same scene. “We both knew from our correspondences that their assassins are deadly.”

“Ito, tell me more of the clan. Who is in the clan?” Mycroft had his hands inside the overcoat of his. “I know I was briefed before, but do tell again.”

Mycroft was unaware of the threat to the minister. And Japan was like the distance of the moon from London. Ito Matsuke was one of the knowledgeable ones in London who specialized in the criminal circles, especially the oriental ones. He was a retired naval officer and resided in London. He was with the Foreign Office and worked with Ian Masterson. He spent his last four years in London.

“The clan, with its name that means 'the demon,' held seven sections in its rank with their leader overseeing it. Each leader is independent of the other sections, but there are tales that among them is the main leader, the demon they call "Emperor." We know not who that is."

“Not even yourself, Ito. You are…" Mycroft smiled with sarcasm in his tone.

“I may be the one in the know of the clan, but I know not of the seven leaders. I know not my own, for the leader is behind the silk screen. But I suspect that Doctor Mitsui Ogata, whom you met, is one of seven. He held the rank of the Senior Demon.”

“So, Doctor Mitsui Ogata is a member of the Oni.” Mycroft muttered.

“Perceived to be, but the Oni is rather secret. Doctor Mitsui Ogata is here.”

“I met him, Ito," Mycroft said. “He messaged my minister to call for a meeting with the exchequer, and on that day soon after, the minister died. We were to discuss Treasury functions, but he highlighted the presence of Oni Society in the meeting. But why?”

“Perhaps he wants you to investigate the Oni Society, and……. Could be a tussle of power there," Ito replied. “The Oni Society is getting powerful, and the influence of power may be the cause. And if they control the Treasury functions, they will be formidable too.”

“Ito, where is Nayland now?” Mycroft asked.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Heroes Return VI: Book One London Chapter 9

  9.   The Limehouse district of the East End was the epicenter of the Chinese community then; it was a small, vibrant community of abou...