Sunday, May 13, 2018

Team Seven of Heroes III Chapter 25


25.
Needed then was the defence of the fortress. Sergeant had studied the layout. He reckoned they will come from the eastern side. The fortress held four watch towers that rose high above the walls. The walls itself were hardened earth which over the years have withstood the weather elements. He had men on four of the towers as observers and snipers. The other was to reinforced the north and east walls where he could with the Sergeant in assistance. The mountain gun was assembled onto the eastern wall with Nayland and Mycroft working on it. Hyde was given the task to patrol the western wall with Mrs Hudson and Watson. The two younger ladies were kept in reserve. Nayland brought extra rifles and guns with ammo and these were distributed to the walls.

“Sir, I have rigged explosives on the ground outside. We can trigger it from the walls.” Sergeant Matt proved his expertise in warfare.  

“Sergeant, what are our chances?” Mycroft had to ask then.

“We may live if the scout I sent does come back with reinforcement. Or it will be Rourke Drift remake.” Rourke Drift was the scene of the battle between the British Army against the Zulu warriors It was a hundred and fifty soldiers against four thousand Zulu warriors.

“Aye, the Welsh Regiment; the 24th Regiment of Foot then.” Mycroft displayed his military knowledge. “Good lads.”

“And we are too.” Sergeant Matt took his leave then. Mycroft looked to Watson.

“We are in dire times now, Doctor. I wondered how Sherlock will unravel this case.”

“He would had said take bullet in the head. It’s less painful than a spear up your bowels.” Watson then took his leave leaving Mycroft gasping for a reply. It was close to nightfall then when he mounted up the steps towards the eastern tower. He joined there then with the Corporal Chard; Edward Chard. The reddish Scotsman was cleaning his rifle; he had three lined up there with the spare ammo clips. He had one above his navel his own heritage dagger preferred by the Highlanders.

“The dirk my paddy. He had it from his father.” Chard showed Watson the dirk. The doctor recalled given one when young but it’s probably in his flat at London. He did not carry it for a long time. It was then he saw Sergeant Matt signalling him.

“We found a ground opening some distance from the Eastern wall. It was hidden unless you are looking for it or at worse stumbled on it. We have not gone in yet and awaited your instructions.” Watson heard the Sergeant. He was to ask the reason when the Sergeant told him.

“It may be the Achilles heel if we need to use it.” Sergeant Matt continued on. “We may explore the place. Anything that could help us in the battle to come. I will do the recon soon. Care to join me?”

The place was a mound surrounding by shrubs and the doorway was a small lifted doorway. Sergeant had his pistol and the lighted lamp. Watson followed behind and his lighted view was the narrow staircase. There were no torches but the lamp held by the Sergeant did the work. The trip down was tricky with the uneven steps and walls were all too smooth. The descent soon ended when they came onto the corridor which held three doors and one solitary guard dressed in the dark cloak and expensive suit.

“Doctor Watson I presume.”

Sherlock took a bite of his supper; canine met with dashes of herbs to make it tasty. He spat out the meat and decided to stay with the organic vegetables and fruits. He looked at the one seated across him. He was feeding on something similar and had to jibe at it.

“Canine is not my taste.” Sherlock voiced out.

“Me neither. I liked my mutton stew though.” Emperor Fu Manchu replied before he took another bite of the stringy meat of the goat. “I will tell the Chef.”

“How would you deal with your imposter?” Sherlock raised the question. “We are hours away.”

“Do you know the Chinese invented gunpowder? It was discovered way back in the ninth century but only recorded in the eleventh century. It was Chinese alchemy at its best then. Today, it’s an industrial revolution.” Emperor Fu Manchu replied. “I know they have guns. The British are predictable. I dragged mine too. It’s bigger. The Colonists were very persuasive.”

“They have this Whitworth Rifle twelve pounder was accurate with its twelve pounders ball. They reached further at over ten thousand yards. I have two of it and will pound them to the ground.” Emperor Fu Manchu smiled. “In addition to that I have an army of two hundred warriors to pick their bones.”

“And I also have four Maxim guns to give some fire power. I have them equipped with silver and holy water to cool the gun barrels. I am ….”

“Silver and holy water? Are you telling me vampires are around?” Sherlock initially curious and then laughed. “Whose bloods did you spiked?’

Blood was not the drink served then by host to the newly arrived guest, Doctor Watson but a concoction of tomatoes and alcohol which spiked the cocktail into a near concoction of bloody flavour.

“Not my taste but out here, I won’t be choosy.” Helsing raised the goblet to his lips in congratulating the Doctor in finding him. They were seated at the long table in the lighted chamber which was the left most doorway, then down a corridor to there. He greeted the duo then and led them there. It was sort of a ‘evening’ talks for Watson and Van Helsing.

“Somehow I felt that we will meet in the most unusual…”

“I am unusual, Watson. I am a vampire hunter. There are a few of us left and dwindling. I was not on the task actually. I left all of you after India. I ….”

“Hey, Van Helsing. I am not here to hear your confession. I am here because I am. I was told to look at a hole in the ground.” Watson looked at the bemused Sergeant seated adjacent to them beaming a smile.

“Since you are here and besides vampires… yes they are here. So is Dracula. He is…”

“Never far from you. I may be wrong but in personal medical terms, we assumed relationship may have brewed between you and him.” Watson smiled before he took a sip of the served wine however Sergeant Matt was pale in comparison.

“Yes, you may be right. After I returned from India, I spend some time pursuing my personal issues. I travelled far and wide, ended up north of India, on the mountains. There I met …or I was met by the so named Guardians of the Vault. It was some prison for crappy prisoners that no one else wanted. They told me that Dracula escaped from there. So, I ended up pursuing him and …”

“Ended up here. I liked that. We are fighting at two different war…”

“Not exactly. Dracula confronted me with interesting news. He is here to terminate the Emperor Fu Manchu.”

“Fu Manchu? Finally, we have a common ailment.” Watson took his third sip. “We are now on a common enemy, and probably one war.”

“Viola, I have another ally.” Dracula appeared from the shadows. “That eased my conscience. I have sent the first wave to deal with the Emperor.”

“What did you do?” Watson asked.

“I took some insurance of my own. I tried to recruit his men.” Dracula wiped at the remaining blood stains on his lips. “They have some unique taste to their blood. And the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Or perhaps ally for now.”



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...