Sunday, February 4, 2018

The Opera House Chapter 25


25.

Firmin inked the document of ownership to the applause of the others gathered there at the Gentlemen’s Club. He rolled the ink swatter over the signature before handing it to attorney that was to witness the signing.

“Bravo!” Armand called out. “The deed done and the celebration will be underway.”

The group of five gentlemen then reached for their glasses to toast the transfer on the Opera House while they sat at the private room. The attorney then stood up and asked to be excused.

“Monsieur Debierne, Monsieur Coligny. If I may advised you once more. The funds for the Opera House will be transferred to your trustee once we have filed in this deed to the Courts.” The attorney then bowed to the four gentlemen and took his leave.

“And to the Opera House. May it perform forever.” Coligny then high spirited made the toast which the other three gentlemen raised their glasses. “I ….”

“I am ever in favoured of the Opera House for my leisure times.” The voice was from the doorway and in step the Comte. He was followed by his brother the Viscomte. The four gentlemen taken aback by the intrusion but as gentlemen they cordially invited him to the table. Two more glasses were served and the wine poured.

“I was passing by and saw all of you. I did meet the attorney outside. Monsieur DeMille is my good friend and had acted for me on several matters.” The Comte started off the awkward meeting. “Here’s to the new owners.”

Six glasses were raised and the contents sipped but two of them in distaste. It was Firmin who drew first blood.

“Yes, we are proud to own it. I am not surprised that you may know Monsieur DeMille for he came to us to offer his services when we were to look for one then. I am sure Paris is a smaller city than most for everyone knows …”

“Everything? No Monsieur Firmin. Only the privilege like myself perhaps. It came with the honour and rank of the elite.” The Comte cut in. He then changed the subject matter to the previous owners.

“Monsieur Debieme, you are a wealthy man now. Perhaps you would want to consider some sound investment in the business of shipping.” The Comte was blunt to his question.

“Comte, I am ever pleased with my …wealth but I think I will retire with it now. I am old and soon to see my creator. Let me partake in leisure with my last years.” The Colonel smiled at the Comte. “Monsieur Firmin with the bigger chest may be of your preference than me.”

All the six gentlemen laughed and then the two previous owners stood up to leave but the Comte stopped them.

“Please, gentlemen. Stay for one more question. My brother Raoul is back and ever eager to see the Opera House in performance. You have not done any for two months now with your acquisition and I hear major maintenance. Perhaps a show could be soon.”

“Yes, there will be one soon. Our unusual absence was due to the rehearsal of the play by the Diva Carlotta and with her perfection is a requisite. We shall be opening next week and it will be playing Carmen.” Firmin cut in.

“I am glad for then we may once hear the terrors of the Phantom.” The Comte pissed on the opening play. “I am sure the Carmen like the Phantom will be equally stirring.”

“The Phantom?” Monsieur Coligny intervened. “The Phantom had ceased to exist for some weeks now. In fact there are no such Phantom but the noise and some displaced boarding that we have replaced  with the last culprit, a former staff of ours in the pay of others to spread rumours.”

“Is it? I am afraid I missed that out.” The Comte smiled. “Well good riddance to bad omens and happier ones to come.”
“Viscomte Raoul, I am glad that you are back. Perhaps you may not be in the know but Christine is the second singer to the Diva.” Monsieur Coligny dug in the spike at the younger man. The Comte expression turned grim but the Viscomte was red in embarrassment.

“I was not informed. Thank you for telling me this. I will see her later.” The Viscomte looked for an excuse to leave then and was assisted by Monsieur Coligny who offered him their ride with Monsieur Debieme. The three gentlemen left leaving the other three seated there.

“Comte, I am surprised that you are here. And what may I asked was your intention to speak of the Phantom? We all know that the Phantom was a fake and created to gather audience to the so haunted House.” Monsieur Firmin took his direct approach.

“Two questions for me. One I was entertaining my brother on his premature return to Paris, and your next question, the Phantom may be unreal to you but to us in Paris he is real. He watches over the House as well as the catacombs. Surely your acquisition will rouse my interest and as a Parisian I know my city. The catacombs have been a smuggler route for years. If you are thinking of using it without my knowledge and ….consent, then you are ….doomed to sink in it.”

“Surely, Comte. We have never hidden anything from you. We are business associates. We never hid our intentions to acquire the Opera House. We intended to use it for our front in Paris and of course with your approval.” Monsieur Firmin replied. “We have no idea that there was …..We knew of the catacombs but of its use, we were not informed.”

“Then stay out of it.” The Comte stood up. “Good day to you, gentlemen.”

With that the Comte took his leave but Monsieur Armand was upset

“Did you see the smug on his face? He was taking us for fools.” Armand tossed the glass to the wall. “I shall have …”

“You will do nothing to him. …. Until we conclude the guns.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...