Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Team Seven of Heroes Chapter 21

21.

Sherlock felt the feeling on his body was getting agitated and he knew he needed a fix. Cocaine was an addictive drug and yet it gave him his mind stimulant. He needed it more when Watson diluted his fix. He knew there were alternatives in the medical list but he had tried most of them from opium to inhaling gaseous chemicals but one worked well like cocaine. He found what he was looking for but the sight there was distressing.

Sherlock was momentarily shocked by the line-up of creatures that were strung on the metal panels hung on the overhead belt. Some of the creatures were disembowel with the innards removed. There were two lions and one panther with five more chimps.  He saw one carcass of a lion with the wings attached from the eagles. 

Sherlock ignored that with his mind and body fixated on the fix needed. He saw the glass cabinets and rummaged the contents. He was tossing the bottles and vial until he found what may supplement his need. He took the available syringe and injected himself with the chemical. It was not all fulfilling but he felt elated then, and with that his mind cleared. He staggered to his feet and then proceeded to look at the lab. He heard the gunshots but ignored them while he looked at the clinical notes.

“Holmes!” Sherlock heard the all familiar voice but he chose to ignore the man. He was busy pondering over the findings and then he felt the hand on his right shoulder.

“It can’t be! You took this?” Watson questioned him.

“Yes, I did. I was too long from it. I needed it.” Sherlock defended his action. “But now the important matters were where’s the staff that wrote these notes.” 

“There are none?” Watson mind turned to the new matter discussed. He looked around and could not see anyone that resembled a staff. He then noticed the closed door to another chamber. He rushed over and checked the latch. It opened and he was greeted by the sight of the dead bodies there. It was a grim reminder of the Swedish Enigma where dead bodies headless and maimed were turning up at every turn.

“Holmes, I found them.” Watson stepped in to look at the dead bodies. He was used to seeing dead bodies not only as a doctor but his years in the Frontier had been one where you were not sure when you may end up as them. He had also taken the life of the few that deserved it.

“At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst. (Aristotle)” Watson sighed. He was joined by Sherlock then.

“I should concur with you but they are no better than the killers we encountered.” Sherlock then sobered displayed the rare insight into his human side. “I however found that despite their hard work, they have not discovered the origin of life or who life was to evolve.”

“Pardon me, Watson. It’s elementary that the lab was used for the study of evolution or in some other terms may be considered as origin.” Sherlock straighten this back which his mode to make a point to his argument. “I found this in the lab.”

The Origin of Species was actually titled as Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle For Life. The author was Charles Darwin; a naturalist and geologist. He theorised that pattern of evolution resulted from a process of natural selection, in which the struggle for existence may also involve selective breeding. It attracted challenges from the theology advocates that life was based on the scripture or from transcendental theology.

“They were redefining the new breeds for the betterment in their mind.” Sherlock sighed when he recount his adventures on the moor in pursuit of what was said then as a beast from Hell.

“I thought the views of the subject were disputed by the theology devotees…” Watson was interrupted.

“Do not be distracted. We need to find who are financing it.” Sherlock intervened. “And setting it loose on our cities…....Aha! I found the answer.”

“The research folder.” Sherlock picked up the folder marked Private & Confidential. “It’s held the insignia of the person in charge.”

The sign of M in the circle was there.

“Anyone care to tell me why the shooting had stopped outside?” Sherlock asked and then he heard more shots. They made their way to the doorway and saw Lady Jane with her shoulders slumped with the rifle dangling at the arms. Lord Greystoke was beside the lion that was shot dead by Lady Jane. He was in tears on the loss of the previously trapped creatures. Lady Harkness was seated on the steps nursing her wounds which were then healing. It was then Mycroft had joined them with the guards storming the main gates and then they reached the courtyard.

“I said old chap.” Mycroft wiped the sweat from his forehead. “I see that you have not changed your clothes. Even the chimps smelled better than you.”

Across the valley and over some far miles Van Helsing got up from the bedding and then walked towards the fireplace. During his walk, he took to rub with his left hand. He then rubbed his hands together to get the blood circulating.
“Have you read it all? It has been over a day and night as if it matters to me without my sight.” The sightless friar voiced up from his seated position on the arm chair. “My butt is aching from the non-activities. I would be usually out there playing with my bow and arrows but without a sighted target, I have stopped practicing.”

“Friar, tell me what was in there that intrigued you?” Van Helsing asked.

“I seek an answer that will satiate my desire for retribution.” Friar Tuck replied. “Now tell me.”


“There is not much to tell you that you may not already know. Your reports were of two issues; Monsignor Dupont and the research for the origin of life. You even have news of an unusual subject.”

“A Nephilim?” Van Helsing held a smug expression. He searched his mind on the subject matter.

“Genesis 6.1; Now it came about when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they took wives for themselves whomever they chose.”

“An ancient saying but do you really believe it?” Friar Tuck asked soon after Van Helsing recited word for words the passage. Why are you really here? The Van Helsing myth had travelled far and wide but hardly anyone knew of your origin. Who is the real Van Helsing who hold no fear of the vampires and werewolves?”

Van Helsing stood there momentarily stunned. He was never asked of his past or of his father and father before his own. The name of Van Helsing held fear in those who were into the supernatural but respect by those who believed in it and yet avoid it. Funny, it was then Van Helsing thought of his existent. He knew that he was trained from young to be who he was even though he lost his right arm, he still came back to fight like his namesake. He did once asked his tutor in the monastery that he was raised in.

“Who am I?” A simple question but from the mind of one that was nine years of age, that was a God damning question.

“I don’t really know.” Van Helsing continued on. “I was told that my name is Van Helsing and was to carry out the tradition of stopping the vampires and werewolves. There was one of us and always one out there. While I was growing at the monastery, I heard the tales of the man who was out there. The adventures of the name sake were not reported but I was well advised. I was twenty one when I took on the role. I hunted my first vampire three months later and had been doing it since. I was injured three years later when a werewolf took my right arm. I took six months to recover.”

“But are you a descendant of Van Helsing?” The friar asked. “Or you thought you are?”

“I am a Van Helsing.” The hunter voiced out. “I am ….the hunter.”

“Then tell me of what you read.” Friar Tuck voiced out.

“There seems to be reports of one named Monsignor and then of research done by the breeders.” Van Helsing muttered and then his voice went up. “What link to that with the so named Nephilim?”

“The Nephilim? Yes that is a unique subject. I know Genesis 6, Number 13.33 and Replaim of Duet 2:20. Are they real? Or are they myths?” The friar asked. “Did you read about Monsignor was suspected of one? Contrary to what you may have been told, the Nephilim are not giants. It was a myth and never was proven. Neither was their existence. Unless you believe Rasputin was one too. He was huge and took a lot to kill him.”

“Why…wait how did you know this? I thought you were blind.”

“Sightless I am but I was not blind to the reports. You are not the first that read to me.” The friar stood up. “Shall we look up Monsignor Dupont? Maybe he will give me back my sight? If he is a Nephilim, he may be gifted too. I already felt more secured with a Van Helsing next to me.”



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...